• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peebles
    Enthusiast
    • May 2015

BC3 slow comparing files

Hi,

I've been using BC3 for quite a while, both in Windows XP and Ubuntu with no issues. Recently I purchased a new PC and installed Ubuntu 15.04 and BC3. I imported all BC3 settings from my old PC.

The issue I'm experiencing is that BC3 takes a long time to open files for compare. Just comparing two small text files may take 4-5 seconds. I had never experienced this issues before. The main difference between this PC and the others is that this one is 64 bits. However, a colleague is using BC3 in one similar PC (also with 64 bits) and experiencing no slow down.

I've tried removing old settings, uninstalling and reinstalling, and even installing evaluation version BC4, with the same results. Meld, for instance, opens files for comparison with no slow down.

Any ideas I might try?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for the report. This is a known issue that we are working on. I'll add your notes to our tracker entry, and I would suggest also subscribing to the News and Announcements forum for email notifications when we release an upcoming beta.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• peebles
      Enthusiast
      • May 2015

Thanks for the reply Aaron. I've just tested release version BC 4.1 Beta and it seems to fix the speed issues I was experiencing.

Are there any plans to update BC 3 accordingly or do I have to upgrade if I want this fix?

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

This is a specific issue with the newest Ubuntu 15 release and the older back-end BC3/BC4 use. It's not likely a fix we'll be able to port back, since we upgraded the Linux back-end for BC4.1 is pretty substantial ways. I'd recommend the upgrade to BC4.1 to get the overhaul and the native 64bit support. Give the beta a try for a bit longer in trial mode, and see how it works for you.

Because it's a beta, we don't recommend working with important or live data unless you already have a back up. Let us know if you run into any issues while testing.

If you would like to upgrade, you would be eligible for a discount using your BC3 license (possibly free if purchased after Jan 2013), which you can find more information here:
        http://www.scootersoftware.com/shop....=upgradepolicy
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• mibcat
          New User
          • Jul 2017

Hi !
          Are there any news for updating BC3 ?
          I have the same problems - using BC3 under Linux Mint 18 is not practicable.

Best regards,
          Michael.

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello,

No, we aren't able to backport this fix for BC3 to support newer Linux OS versions. Your BC3 license does not expire and you can continue to use it on any supported OS, but some fixes require updating libraries or other core changes that can't be brought back to older releases.
            http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...z=kb_lifecycle
            BC4's development had a lot of work put towards the Linux version, greatly enhancing its support, adding 64bit support, etc. You can try the trial before deciding to upgrade. Use the BC3 Tools menu -> Export to back up your current BC3 settings if you decide you'd like to revert to BC3 after upgrading to BC4.
            http://www.scootersoftware.com/download.php

You can upgrade and check your upgrade discount, here:
            http://www.scootersoftware.com/shop....=upgradepolicy
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• mibcat
              New User
              • Jul 2017

Hi Aaron,

thanks for your feedback. From the technical side I can understand not fixing this issue because of high effort.
              But for me as a user who is totally satisfied with the current BC3 functionality, the need for buying an update is a drawback.
              Unavoidably I'll have a look on BC4 ...

Best regards,
              Michael.

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

We generally roll many fixes and features into minor releases (which are free updates), but major changes to core functionality or libraries require extensive development and testing. Our upgrade costs help cover these overhauls, even when they aren't as apparent as a new Session type, and a Major version release provides a clear marker for when we might break compatibility with an Older version of an OS in order to support a newer version. BC4 for Linux has had a lot of work done to help work with newer Linux OS versions, general stability, and large back-end enhancements such offering a 64bit version.

Double check our Upgrade Policy page for potential discounts for an upgrade path. And our trial is available to fully test before any purchase.
                I think you'll find it's worth the price.
                If not, you can always Uninstall BC4 and reinstall BC3 (and re-import your settings using the Tools menu -> Import if needed, as discussed above to back them up before upgrading with Tools -> Export). We host the latest version of each Major release on the Download page (side menu); here's a direct link to BC3: http://www.scootersoftware.com/download.php?zz=dl3_en
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...