• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anaevalopez@mac.com
    New User
    • May 2015

Include Ignored Files in Difference Report

Hello,

I'm doing a folder compare on 2 directories and I've determined that certain files with differences can be ignored. I can select those files and choose 'Ignored' from the Actions menu. I now want to include these ignored files in my Differences report. Is there a way to do that?

I seem to only be able to see them if I choose the 'Show All' view option. I don't want to do this though since that will show all files in my directories, and those are just too many.

My end goal is to report the differences that were found between the 2 directories and include in that report which of the items in the original set of differences have been handled.

For example, if you had a list of items and you crossed an item out once it was dealt with. That would displayed then that the item was part of the original set but it is no longer an issue.

I was hoping that by setting these as 'ignored' then the difference icon between the 2 files would be displayed but the file names would not change color. This can serve as an indicator that the files were considered but are no longer an issue.

Is it possible to include the 'ignored' files in the Differences report? Or is there some other way to accomplish my end goal?

Thank you,
    Ana
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

The Ignored state is a temporary command to ignore specific files and treat them as if they were equal. The Ignored files would not show in a Differences report. A Refresh would remove the Ignored status, which would then show them as different again.

As you step through and Ignore files, is there a specific difference within the files you wish to ignore? We usually tackle this with defined grammar elements, which mark specific difference types as Unimportant. At this point, a Difference Report would then show files that are different: either with Important differences or entirely Unimportant Differences, as long as Ignore Unimportant Differences is disabled. This would leave you with a report showing differences, and include files that might contain only unimportant differences.
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo..._unimportantv3
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• anaevalopez@mac.com
      New User
      • May 2015

Thank you for your response.

My team and I were mostly seeking a way to be able to "checkmark" an item to state that it had been completed. Currently our implementations require us to resolve differences manually, most of the time outside of Beyond Compare. So we wanted to be able to state that even though there was a difference between these 2 files, we were able to resolve it by the time we were presenting the report.

I understand the proposed solution regarding the defined grammar elements, but most of the time these will be unique among the files and it would take us longer to add the defined grammar elements so just so they show up in the report than it is to resolve the issue itself.

Thank you,

Ana

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

If you use the Ignored state, it wouldn't be saved and any refresh would throw that away. However, if the files are then truly equal (because they were Ignored b/c they were Done outside of BC), then the refresh would show them as equal, correct? If they are still showing as different, then they are actually different based on the comparison criteria, which we can re-configure if certain differences need to be globally ignored. Wouldn't this work for your scenario?

Alternatively, you can right click and Exclude an item, or manually type a file name filter, to permanently hide the item. However, this will stay hidden even if the file's comparison is different and we wouldn't re-compare it.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...