Rules for which files to compress in FTP?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • krilbe
    Visitor
    • May 2015

Rules for which files to compress in FTP?

I use BC to sync a large set of files and folders via FTP and the files vary in size between tiny (few kbyte) to large (tens of Mbyte and up to the Gbyte range). Many of the larger files would compress well (e.g. csv files) but most of the small files transfer very inefficiently with mode z and quite a few of the larger files would not compress much (e.g. xlsx, zip and zipx files).

So, I'd like to request these features regarding use of mode z for ftp transfers (if possible):

1. Set a file size threshold: files larger than the threshold will use mode z, smaller ones will not.

2. Set a "don't compress" file pattern (same as for filters): If a file is larger than the threshold it will use mode z only if it does not match and of the patterns.

3. Set a "always compress" file pattern (same as for filters): If a file matches one of the patterns it will use mode z even if it's below the threshold.

In essence, "don't compress" patterns are applied only above the threshold, and "always compress" patterns are applied only below the threshold, so contradicting patterns would not be an issue. (The effect would be that files matching both types of patterns will be compressed below the threshold but not above it - weird but "correct" in some sense).
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Thanks for the suggestion. We don't currently support this level of customization for compression over FTP, but I'll make a note in our Customer Wishlist detailing this type of enhancement.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...