Pressing ESCape to close file comparison doesn't work for all files on Mac (4.0.7)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • intersol
    Enthusiast
    • Apr 2006

Pressing ESCape to close file comparison doesn't work for all files on Mac (4.0.7)

Pressing ESC to close the file comparison is key for productivity but it seems that unless you perform a click inside one of the two file-compare windows the ESC keyboard message may do nothing.

This does not reproduce on all comparisons, only on some of them but always with the same files.

I included a screenshot with one of these files. Maybe someone discovered the same behaviour.
    Attached Files
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

When you attempt to his Esc, does Beyond Compare still have focus? In the top menu bar of your screen, next to the Apple menu, is Beyond Compare still the active program?

Otherwise, Esc should work for the file view if the view has focus (even if you've clicked outside of the text area on a toolbar).
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Jeremy
      Visitor
      • Aug 2011

This bug is definitely still around in the latest release, but seems to be rather picky about when it wants to surface. I have recorded a quick video showing when it seems to come up. At all times, the only keys pressed are Esc or Command+w to close the files.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ompare-Bug.mov

When doing a direct comparison of files it doesn't seem to be a problem, but when a file comparison is opened from an already open folder comparison, it seems to be intermittently broken. The work around is to click on one of the two file panes before attempting to close with a keyboard shortcut, but as you mentioned, if Beyond Compare has focus (which it obviously does in this case) it should be closing the comparison, not adding keystrokes to text.

I used version 4.1.4 (build 20978) for testing, and if there's anything else I can do to help please let me know.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Thanks for the report and movie. I was able to follow these steps and had the issue reproduce once (not as common as you), but that was useful to see and I'll include the movie with our tracker entry.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Jeremy
          Visitor
          • Aug 2011

In my initial testing with version 4.1.7 (build 21529) I am not seeing this issue occur any longer. I had a look in the changelog but didn't see it mentioned, so I wasn't sure if this was officially fixed or just harder to replicate now?

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Not purposefully fixed, but we're constantly tweaking background behavior, which may have helped. I'll add your notes to our tracker on the subject; if you see it again, please also update here to let us know.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Jeremy
              Visitor
              • Aug 2011

I spoke too soon it seems. The issue is present again, but seems to be even harder to replicate now. When I followed my own steps from before it was fine, but out of the blue it started happening again just now.

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Which version of Mac OS are you currently running, and are you running the latest 4.1.8 release?
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Jeremy
                  Visitor
                  • Aug 2011

Mac OS X: El Capitan 10.11.6 (15G1004)
                  Beyond Compare: Version 4.1.8 (build 21575)

Comment

• fourier
                    New User
                    • Sep 2016

I have this issue as well. It is reproduced on 100% of the time on OSX 10.10.5 and BC 4.1.8 (build 21575).
                    It is only reproduceable on Dvorak layout (both default and custom layout based on Dvorak).

Comment

• treblam
                      New User
                      • Mar 2017

I also have this issue, it's annoying, please fix it.

Comment

• Aaron
                        Team Scooter
                        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Are you running the BC 4.2 beta? Which version of MacOS are you running? How did you launch BC4 and does it occur every time?
                        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• treblam
                          New User
                          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Aaron
                          Hello,

Are you running the BC 4.2 beta? Which version of MacOS are you running? How did you launch BC4 and does it occur every time?
                          I am using beyond compare 4.1.9, my operating system is macOS Sierra 10.12.3. If I open text compare directly, there is no problem, but if I open a text compare from a folder compare, then I press esc, there will be a messy code added at the cursor, like the picture below:
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Aaron
                            Team Scooter
                            • Oct 2007

Thanks. If you update to BC 4.2 beta does this help resolve this issue for you? How often does this issue reproduce for you?

4.2 has many underlying changes which might impact this behavior.
                            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• luckman212
                              Expert
                              • Jul 2010

I'm using BC 4.2 on Mac and I can say that this bug is still present. I don't know how to reliably reproduce but when it happens, pressing <ESC> types a weird character instead of closing the window.

Comment

Working...