X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaveR
    Visitor
    • Apr 2015

Command Line Errors when running su'd

I'm encountering two problems when I run bcomp from a command line within an su:
    1) I get the error CarbonFontIDToFontName Error: ATSUFindFontName Length failed with result -8905 multiple times over when starting bcomp from the command line, even though it does seem to load correctly.

2) When I do start BC from the command line in this context it claims to be an unregistered version.

I guess the second error is because it considers the su'd account to be another user, but that's not very helpful behaviour.

BC 4.07
    OS X 10.10.3
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Thanks for the report.

1) Have you customized your system fonts or default fonts on an OS level? If you have any customization information, that would be helpful in tracking this down.

2) Beyond Compare stores settings per user account in your users/username/library/application support/beyond compare/, which includes sessions and registration information. As a sudo, we would still load from here, but a su will launch as root (a different user). We don't have a global method to register for all users on OSX yet, but we're looking into a solution for this.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• DaveR
      Visitor
      • Apr 2015

Hi, Aaron,

1) No, I haven't. I have added two user fonts but these are not used at the OS level. If there is anything I can do to tie this down, just let me know. Again, it only happens within an su or sudo. I don't get these errors if I run it as me, without the sudo.

2) Yes, that's pretty much what I expected the problem to be. It's pretty rare that I'd need to run it within an su.

Thanks for your

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Would it be possible to get details on the Fonts you added, and the steps you took for their installation. Once installed, where are they used? Just as a font choice in Text Editors, and not customized to appear anywhere else?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• DaveR
          Visitor
          • Apr 2015

The fonts were Grandesign Neue Roman and Serif and they have not yet been used. They were downloaded from http://www.fonts2u.com, viewed in QuickView and installed by clicking the Install Font button.

Comment

Working...