X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisjj
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Apr 2008

19761 "The directory is not empty"

Why "The directory is not empty" error when the display says otherwise?

http://i.imgur.com/WGPlBwB.png

EDIT: Explorer shows the directory NOT empty http://i.imgur.com/8cjnB54.png .

So:

1) Why is the display failing to show the directory content?
    2) Why is the Delete operation failing to delete the directory including content?
    Last edited by chrisjj; 09-Apr-2015, 08:25 AM.
  • tlscales
    Expert
    • Oct 2007

Hidden files, or a file name filter?

Comment

• chrisjj
      Carpal Tunnel
      • Apr 2008

> Hidden files

I can't see how. Peek is On, so no files should be hidden.

> or a file name filter?

I can't see how. Filters: is *.*, so no files should be filtered.

Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello Chris,

The factory defaults of Beyond Compare 3 and 4 hide Protected Operating System files in the Session Settings, Other Filters tab, 'protected operating system files'. You'll need to update this default to show these files if you always want to include them.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Hello,

Also, if the directory contents are out of sync and BC4 is showing "0" while Explorer shows content, then the delete command will hit this error. You would need to Refresh the BC4 display to get a current listing.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
            Carpal Tunnel
            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Aaron
            The factory defaults of Beyond Compare 3 and 4 hide Protected Operating System files in the Session Settings, Other Filters tab, 'protected operating system files'.
            Thanks. I'd forgotten that "Pick View > Suppress Filters to temporarily suppress file filters " fails to work on all the "Exclude protected operating system files" filter. I hope this is on the list of things to fix.

Regardless, "Lib" is not a file, but a folder. Despite which, unchecking "Exclude protected operating system files (Recommended)" does reveal it. I guess this discrepancy is a fault. I hope this is on the list of things to fix.

And further regardless, "Lib" is not a protected operating system object (Hidden is unchecked http://i.imgur.com/8cjnB54.png). So why is "Exclude protected operating system files (Recommended)" filtering it?

Also, if the directory contents are out of sync and BC4 is showing "0" while Explorer shows content, then the delete command will hit this error.
            Ah, so I take it BC does not ensure the content are in sync. Thanks for the warning.

You would need to Refresh the BC4 display to get a current listing.
            Thanks for the suggestion. I did refresh. I also relaunched BC. These made no difference, which fits with the discovery that the culprit was "Exclude protected operating system files (Recommended)".
            Last edited by chrisjj; 09-Apr-2015, 10:12 AM.

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Hello,

Peek should show all items as a teal color, and applies to all filters include the Protected Operating System filter. When you say "reveal" did Lib then appear in the main BC4 interface after disabling the filter? You mention restarting the app, but could you also try rebooting the machine and external device? This seems like a bad state.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
                Carpal Tunnel
                • Apr 2008

Peek should show all items as a teal color, and applies to all filters include the Protected Operating System filter.
                So why does Peek fail to show folder Lib http://i.imgur.com/WGPlBwB.png until I uncheck 'Exclude protected operating system files'?

When you say "reveal" did Lib then appear in the main BC4 interface after disabling the filter?
                Yes.

could you also try rebooting the machine and external device?
                Sorry, no. Both are in use.

Comment

• Aaron
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

I'm not sure about Peek. Peek should show all filtered items, including anything filtered by Display filters, Name filters, Other filters, or even the Protected Operating System Files filter. Behavior other than this leads me to think BC4 or the device it is reading from is in a bad or unstable state. This is why I recommend rebooting all current devices, to see if this changes the behavior.
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
                    Carpal Tunnel
                    • Apr 2008

Thanks. I no longer have that device but will follow you suggestion next time.

Comment

Working...