X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Neoart
    Visitor
    • Apr 2015

1st Hr of Trial - I Give Up

Bare with me - I can only go at this by memory.

But we'll start with trying to figure out any tip from Video,
    or help menu.

This guy does a decent job, he goes slow enough to follow along, his mouse is clearly in view, and instructs the move ahead of time.
    Basics* 23:25* 10-Sept-2010 - By Bob Jones -

Compared to this one - is just so poorly done -
    hard to follow along - so badly blurred to see any detail,
    and cannot follow along at her speed.
    The Beyond Compare homescreen* 2:31
    A demonstration of BC4's home screen features.

Im afraid I'll have to pass on this ware being instructions
    do not fit the OS of Mac from the help menu.

Screen shot view will show open help menu & drop down
    menu do not match path shown for session settings.
    In the next post.

So I'm basically Stuck at a such a simple step
    where I sampled one file to get a feel of the process.

If theres a way to destruct a process by logic,
    you found the perfect guy.

Regardless of highlighting folder at session panel, I see no way to remove the file from sessions panel, to test drive another.

I can't imagine sessions panel ending up a cluster pile
    of random files - Always in the way - in view.
    Theres absolute no reason to save it.
    Or is that the only way to get rid of it?

I thought closing the app might perform the clearing of panel,
    with so much detail shown how to save it.
    So that logic failed.

Guess I need to build the ware myself - so anything hovered over, instructions pop up that are only available for that process in that position.

Thanks - but just too deep for now.
  • Neoart
    Visitor
    • Apr 2015

Oh Great, w/wait process, I lost the thread I started

Anyway, heres the Screen shot of help menu that does not match Mac's OS instructions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Session Settings 15,04,05 800x.png
Views:	1
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	76334

Comment

• Aaron
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

Hello,

We're sorry you feel that way about the videos. Bob did excellent work, and it's great that his BC3 video is able to generally help a lot of people. We haven't been able to tackle the full video suite for BC4, but we have a few available from the beta period that we host.

The main point of confusion you seem to be hitting is the concept of Sessions. For this, I recommend a BC3 video found here:
      http://www.scootersoftware.com/videos/WN3Options.html

A session is a bookmark, that saves specific comparison criteria with the locations you want to compare. Loading the session then reloads and recompares the folders or files. Each session type controls the type of comparison: Text Compare, MP3 Compare, etc are each session types. The Session menu -> Session Setting's dialog shows the options for the currently open session type: so if you are in the Text Compare, it shows the Text Session settings. If you are in the Folder Compare, it shows the Folder Session settings.

The Auto-Saved sessions list auto-saves the last comparisons performed. This is an option; you can control how many are auto-saved in the Options dialog, in the "Tweaks" section, under 'Metrics': "100" max auto-saved sessions is the default value.

The basic workflow of comparing folders is similar between BC3 and BC4. If you launch a new, blank Folder Compare session, the BC3 video instructions will largely be the same. If you have any questions, please feel free to post a screenshot.

And sorry for the forum timeout. The vbulletin software we use for the forum is a bit quirky, but it's the best one we've found so far.
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Neoart
        Visitor
        • Apr 2015

1. Bob's video was praised.

2. Video I referred to is obviously 1/10 the value-and fair assessment as quoted.
        Take a look-On scale of 1-5, what score would reviews leave, visually?
        http://www.scootersoftware.com/featu...ag=DI4nuUDMrAk
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2015-04-07 at 12.09.27 PM.png
Views:	1
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	76335 Session Panel view in video.

3. Looking at screenshot of instruction (post2) with drop down menu.
        It says to edit - session/settings - the drop down menu does not match as shown.
        skipped in reply - does this menu settings match on PC's?

Does session settings only avail at new session, or anytime?
        If session is not new? Session/setting menu is not shown?

Trying to nail down the real deal, or if this is mis applied instruction for Mac.

Thanks

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Hello,

The video is specific for Windows. The OSX version has a largely similar menu structure, with some items moved from the Windows "Tools" and "Help" menus into the OSX "Beyond Compare" menu. The "Session" menu is largely identical. The "Session" menu changes based on the current type of tab you have open. A Home tab would show a different Session menu than a Text Compare tab, or a Folder Compare tab. Each tab is a Session type, so the Session menu changes to show that Session type's controls.

The "Session Settings" dialog is always available if you are in a session view, new or loaded. The Session Settings control how that view compares things. The Session can then be saved. The Session is kind of like a bookmark, for the items to load and the Session Settings to use.

Did you get a chance to review the "Where various options are set" video? This would help explain how Sessions work.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Neoart
            Visitor
            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Aaron
            Hello,

The video is specific for Windows. IT WASN'T ABOUT OS
            Do we have a translation problem - wasn't the screen shot strictly a quality issue?
            OS of video was never once mentioned.

Simply comparing the difference between two videos on the first page you come to selecting video.

THE OS question was clearly produced as my direct view of my help menu and screenshot of.
            IT doesn't match - was it supposed to was/is the question. Simple Yes/No.

The "Session" menu is largely identical.

The "Session" menu changes based on the current type of tab you have open.
            YOU See what I have open - All Questions are based on that view.

Session menu changes - IS THE WORD SETTINGS ALWAYS IN THE MENU? Yes/No.
            Taking me on world tour of what other tabs are, is going around & past current issue.

The "Session Settings" dialog is always available if you are in a session view, new or loaded.

So the session tab opened in screen shot view post2- as instructions show the path -
            but not showing the word SETTINGS.
            You don't find this odd - menu is missing the word SETTINGS?
            Am I in Session View post2 - yes/no

Did you get a chance to review the "Where various options are set" video?
            This would help explain how Sessions work.
            I WATCHED several times.

POst 6 instead of 3

How about we just let any member take over from here - like a normal forum.
            Thanks

Comment

• dempson
              Enthusiast
              • Apr 2008

If you want to see or modify the settings for a session on the Mac version of Beyond Compare 4, I've found three obvious ways:

(a) To view or modify settings for multiple sessions:

Click on the "View" menu and choose "Show Session Management", so it it ticked.

While session management is enabled, if you click on anything in the sessions list in the left column (whether it is New, Auto-saved or a manually saved session), the middle of the window shows the settings for that session. You can save changes, save as a custom session, or cancel your changes.

You can return to the normal view by selecting View > Show Session Management again to deselect that option.

(b) To view or modify settings for one particular session (assuming you are not in "Show Session Management" view):

Click on the new, auto-saved or custom session in the left column.

For a new session type, an Edit Defaults button is shown in the middle part of the window. For auto-saved and custom sessions, there is an Edit button. Click that button to access the settings. Again, you can save, save as or cancel, plus the session settings can be closed by clicking the X in the upper right corner of the panel.

(c) You can edit settings for an individual session (or new session type) by Control-Click or secondary click on the session name in the left column and choose "Edit" from the contextual menu.

As for your "cluster of random files" comment, the Auto-saved sessions list will accumulate past sessions but it is grouped by how recently you used them, so you tend not to notice old ones unless you go looking for them. You'll probably only create a custom session for frequently used tasks. Sessions are just a record of what your comparison rules were, so it doesn't use up a lot of disk space to remember old ones.

You can delete individual auto-saved or custom sessions by selecting them in the left column and clicking the "-" button at the bottom of the column. (It appears not to support selecting a range of them and deleting them all at once. In fact, I managed to crash Beyond Compare 4.0.7 a couple of times by trying to shift-click on another session in the Auto-saved list.)

Comment

Working...