• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brakanjan
    Visitor
    • Mar 2015

"Ignore file list" filter

Hello there,

Is it possible to export / import a verbose list of files to ignore during a session?

We regularly sync a substantial number of (irregularly named) files from a client site to our main server. After having sifted through the substantial number of files and manually syncing what was necessary, we would like to be able to export the resulting list of remaining files with timestamps, sizes and paths (i.e. those that were not synced) and then reimport that list the next time as an "ignore list" so we do not constantly have to reconsider the files in that list. The file paths in the list should be relative to the "Base folder" and include file version info (timestamps and sizes). Any files matching the list are filtered out.

Is this possible?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

We have a few related tools, but not exactly this functionality.

The first strategy I would recommend is the comparison criteria. When you perform the sync, those files are then displayed as equal. What factor determines which remaining, different files should not be synced? If we can filter on that factor, then the future sync is as easy as "differences". Our default Sync methods can automatically copy files once they are properly defined as different, and any you do not want to sync Excluded.

The File Name Filters included in the current view can be saved as part of the Session (Session menu -> Save Session). If you have defined filtering to Include or Exclude only specific files, you can save the session and reload it later to re-apply these filters to the target folders.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• brakanjan
      Visitor
      • Mar 2015

Thank you for the reply Aaron. The issue is that
      1. The files are irregulary named and with irregular content
      2. The file names to be excluded are tied to a particular path, there may be similar files in "wanted" paths

I see that the existing "Exclude files" filter does respect partial paths, so this is already half of what we need (unless there is a limit to the number of characters in this filter - is there?).

So all we need now is a list of the visible (non-hidden) files (with paths) in the left pane (i.e. all "non-equal" files). Could BC export such a list?

If so, I should then just be able copy this list into the "Exclude files" filter (if this can take the resulting string length) - perfect.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Would your Exclude list continuously grow? Our limit is pretty high, but if you have to adding specific file names to this list continuously, it would grow until it is unmanageable.

Instead of file names, is it possible to use other criteria (timestamp, attributes, or comparison results) we could use to more easily filter your fies? As a simple example, if you were syncing files over, these files would be equal. Next time you sync they would be 'excluded' because you can easily hide equal files. You can also define other criteria to filter the remaining files. Is there a more general criteria that could be used other than specific file names on the remaining files, to split them into Included "need to sync these files" and Excluded "Do not sync these files"?

We can define specific text as Unimportant, if there is a shifting timestamp in the file (marking everything as different). Once ignored, then only "real" differences would be marked as differences.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Or, is it possible to define a more general File name filter using the DOS masking, rather than a specific exclusion for specific names?
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• brakanjan
            Visitor
            • Mar 2015

Hello Aaron, unfortunately not. As I mentioned previously, the files are irregularly named with no generic filtering possible for the other reasons mentioned.

Question: Can BC export a list of the current files in a pane with paths? This would be great.

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Yes,

If you set the Display filters to only show the files you want to capture, then use the Edit menu -> Expand All, Edit menu -> Select All Files, you can then use the right click or Actions menu -> Copy Filename. Paste into a plain text document (or BC4's Tools menu -> Text Edit) for a full path list of your selection.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• brakanjan
                Visitor
                • Mar 2015

Thank you very much Aaron, this allows me to continue.

Comment

Working...