create rules that can be applied to different sessions?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillT
    Expert
    • Mar 2013

create rules that can be applied to different sessions?

I really need to be able to create a set of rules and select a specific set for a specific comparison.

For example, I use BC to compare log files, and I keep adding the same rule (disregard everything between "0x" and whitespace) to multiple sessions.

BC2 had the ability to create "named" rules and select them into a particular compare session.

I don't see how to do that w/BC4 Mac -- is this possible?

If not, please consider this a feature request...

Thanks!
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

BC3 renamed Rules to File Formats, which you can create a new format, define specific grammar elements ("NewElementName"), then set this new element's default Importance value in the Session Setting Defaults (in the Session Settings dialog, or on the Home screen, New folder, Text Compare (default).

The Session Settings (per session) can then control if a grammar is important or unimportant.
    We have a KB article overview and video here:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo..._unimportantv3

While in the Text Compare, you can also manually override which format is used in the Session Settings dialog, or on the toolbar.

The Folder Compare can also selectively enable or disable specific formats, or save specific child session settings if you launch a child file Compare, edit the settings and then update the dropdown from Use for this view only to Also use for these files in parent session.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• BillT
      Expert
      • Mar 2013

Thanks Aaron!

Now that I know where to look, I can use rule #1: "When all else fails, read the instructions."

I'll let you know if I still have questions.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

No problem. The KB article with video link is especially helpful. Having the Importance as a Session Setting and the Grammar as a global setting adds a degree of complication, but also helps avoid the BC2 scenarios where users would need to create two Rules: "Java", and "Java Comments Important", etc.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...