• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • danzg
    Enthusiast
    • May 2012

Problems with Mac version

I've been waiting for many versions now, but this never gets fixed:

1. When using the drop-down filter box, it just opens a giant screen-wide white box, which makes it totally useless. See attached.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-02-20 at 8.58.47 PM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	76840

2. Often the status bar at the bottom shows "hints" to operations, rather than info about the panels (size, items selected, free space.) This happens randomly.

Are you ever going to fix this?
  • dempson
    Enthusiast
    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by danzg
    I've been waiting for many versions now, but this never gets fixed:

1. When using the drop-down filter box, it just opens a giant screen-wide white box, which makes it totally useless. See attached.
    Mine doesn't do that. I get a short pop-down menu with "All files (*.*)", "C++ source", "Delphi source", "HTML source" and "Java source", plus recently used filters at the bottom (only the latest one is visible without scrolling). The drop-down menu starts at the left edge of the Filters field.

Might you have something in your name filter presets or a recently used preset which is requiring the pop-down menu to be much wider to display all of it? The Name Filter Presets list is in Beyond Compare > Preferences > Tweaks, then scroll most of the way down. I haven't spotted if there is a way to clear the recently used filters.

Comment

• Aaron
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

As dempson mentions, this isn't a widespread issue and we haven't seen it before. Thanks for reporting it. Would you be able to capture your current settings using the Beyond Compare menu -> Support dialog; Export? Then email us at [email protected] along with a link back to this forum thread for our reference.

Thanks!
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• danzg
        Enthusiast
        • May 2012

Originally posted by dempson
        Might you have something in your name filter presets or a recently used preset which is requiring the pop-down menu to be much wider to display all of it? The Name Filter Presets list is in Beyond Compare > Preferences > Tweaks, then scroll most of the way down. I haven't spotted if there is a way to clear the recently used filters.
        My list is default plus a "Mac" one:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 9.06.57 AM.png
Views:	1
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	76320

Comment

• danzg
          Enthusiast
          • May 2012

Originally posted by Aaron
          As dempson mentions, this isn't a widespread issue and we haven't seen it before. Thanks for reporting it. Would you be able to capture your current settings using the Beyond Compare menu -> Support dialog; Export? Then email us at [email protected] along with a link back to this forum thread for our reference.

Thanks!
          Just sent via email ... thanks for looking into this. It has been doing this since the very first Mac version...

Comment

• danzg
            Enthusiast
            • May 2012

Originally posted by Aaron

Thanks!
            I think it might be because the dropdown has some kind of automatic history, and shows some old complex filters with many items, which is a very long string.

How do I clear this filter history? That would be a temporary fix.

But really the dropdown should have a "max width" setting, and truncate the really long items...

Comment

• danzg
              Enthusiast
              • May 2012

I was able to "fix" by temporarily deleting my settings files in '~/Library/Application Support/Beyond Compare' ... so it was a history item(s) ... can you tell me which file in there specifically stores the filter history?

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Hello,

These are stored in the BCState.xml. Thanks for the settings; it does look like you have some extremely long MRU entires. We'll look into what we can do to help in this scenario.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• danzg
                  Enthusiast
                  • May 2012

I cleared the MRUFilters key and looks OK now.
                  But I often do use very long filters, so it would be good if they got truncated with a "..." or something...

thanks

Comment

• Aaron
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

Hello,

In my own tests, I am seeing a single blank line, rather than blanking the entire line, but with your BCSupport.zip, I am able to recreate what you are seeing. We'll just need to narrow down what combination of factors causes this and get it fixed.
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...