X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cweinhofer
    Visitor
    • Feb 2015

Logging Per Session

I have recently turned on the logging feature of BC because I want to have a history on my main backup.

The problem is that this logs every use of the program. I have a few other sessions for misc. syncs and use also use BC to compare various folders occasionally. These also appear in the log and make extra junk that I have to wade through when I want to check something.

Is there a way to have separate logs for each session or to be able to turn on logging only for specific sessions?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Sorry, we do not support this automatically within the graphical interface. You can right-click the log pane and Save a specific log after a task, or if you are using BC Scripting you can use the "log" command as the first line of the script to save a specific log file of that script call.

If you create a new Portable Install, this install could run your specific syncs and log to a different location automatically. Please note a Portable Install should be placed in a location with read/write access like c:\Tools\Beyond Compare 2\, and cannot be within Program Files on Windows.
    For BC2, you can find portable setup instructions here:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...removablemedia
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• cweinhofer
      Visitor
      • Feb 2015

Thanks for the ideas. The portable install is worth considering.

For me the "save" option would be a pain because I would inevitably forget on occasion and the scripting option would nullify my whole reason for using BC - being able to visually see what's going to happen with a sync before it's done.

This is definitely a feature you should consider adding to BC. Even something as simple as an on / off option on the Options > Log page, allowing you to append the session name to the log file name would be sufficient.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Thanks for the feedback. I'll add it to our Customer Wishlist.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...