X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisjj
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Apr 2008

19480 Please fix the absurdly inaccurate "remaining"

This "1 Second Remaining" hasn't changed for the 60 secs since the oepration styart http://i.imgur.com/Jfr7DRm.png .

And nor has the nonsensically 100% progress bar.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Thanks for the feedback. Estimating time is difficult, especially if we are hitting an unexpected error case. Improving our estimates is a long term goal, but a larger project than it might appear as the host OS often doesn't do a good job at these estimates.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
      Carpal Tunnel
      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Aaron
      Thanks for the feedback. Estimating time is difficult
      I can believe estimating time that badly is very difficult

especially if we are hitting an unexpected error case.
      No error has been reported, note.

Improving our estimates is a long term goal,
      Thanks.

but a larger project than it might appear as the host OS often doesn't do a good job at these estimates.
      I really hope you're not suggesting the poor accomplishment if BC here is due to the the poor accomplishment of the host OS.

Comment

• Zoë
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

The "delete" command on MTP devices has a "recursive" flag that device can optionally support to delete entire directory structures in one go. It's supposed to be a fast operation, like moving a directory into the recycle bin, so it shouldn't depend on the size of the directory structure, and the time remaining is impossible to estimate. BC will check whether the option is supported and use it automatically when it's available.

The Zens do not support deleting the "Music" folder or other top-level ones that it's created, so when we tell it to do a delete it should fail immediately and that is indeed what happens on our device. Yours apparently deciding to delete all of the contained items one at a time, which we can't accurately give progress for, and then it tell us that the operation failed. I'm curious what Explorer does in this situation, but, other than improving the error message, and maybe refreshing the directory listing after a delete failure, I don't think there's anything to change in BC's handling of this situation.
        Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
          Carpal Tunnel
          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Craig
          the time remaining is impossible to estimate.
          OK, then I suggest BC's estimate statment should be removed.

The Zens do not support deleting the "Music" folder or other top-level ones that it's created
          I'm not doing that.

Yours apparently deciding to delete all of the contained items one at a time
          No. I'm doing just what you see in the pic. Deleting (the only) one.

I'm curious what Explorer does in this situation,
          http://i.imgur.com/TsS4FmI.png -> http://i.imgur.com/Ja4QrR6.png with no delay.

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello,

Even if the delete 'removes' the files, if Explorer is showing an error then something is in a bad state and our delete will hit similar or other issues. I would suggest trying a Factory Reset on your Zen, as ours (although slightly different model) is working fine without any issues.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
              Carpal Tunnel
              • Apr 2008

Even if the delete 'removes' the files, if Explorer is showing an error then something is in a bad state and our delete will hit similar or other issues.
              I fail to see the relevance. The delay and inaccurate estimate is present on BC and not on Explorer.

Comment

Working...