Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

If you can create an archive that can reproduce the problem (copying files from in archive to the Zen), we could use that as a test file to try to reproduce on our own in house hardware.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Zoë
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

I've tweaked the code to give a better error message when deletes fail.

It seems like two issues are getting conflated though, and I can't tell from the thread whether that's intentional or not. Did BC start giving the "The requested value cannot be determined" error when the device ran out of space, or has it always correctly reported that as "There is not enough space on the disk"? Can you think of anything special about either those files or their position in the transfer queue? Were they at the start of a transfer, in the middle, or at the end? If you make space on the device do those files still fail to transfer in BC? Were there other files within that folder that transferred correctly?

Are there items in the affected folder (check both in Explorer and directly on the device) that aren't appearing in BC? That would explain the delete failure. Have you restarted BC to see if it's having a problem because of stale data? Have you unplugged and replugged the device during any of this?
      Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
        Carpal Tunnel
        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Craig
        Did BC start giving the "The requested value cannot be determined" error when the device ran out of space
        I don't know for sure that it ran out of space.

or has it always correctly reported that as "There is not enough space on the disk"?
        I have never before overfilled it.

Can you think of anything special about either those files or their position in the transfer queue? Were they at the start of a transfer, in the middle, or at the end? If you make space on the device do those files still fail to transfer in BC? Were there other files within that folder that transferred correctly?
        No, middle, no and yes.
        Are there items in the affected folder (check both in Explorer and directly on the device) that aren't appearing in BC? That would explain the delete failure. Have you restarted BC to see if it's having a problem because of stale data? Have you unplugged and replugged the device during any of this?
        No (I have formatted the device to try Aaron's test), no and no.

Aaron, after formatting, that succeeded. After formatting again, the regular copy succeeded. This suggests the fail was dependent on device content.

The delete fails persists. I'll open a separate thread for that.

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Does a Full Refresh or reload of BC then show the folder missing (deleted)?
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello,

We're working on improving some of our error messaging, which may help catch or provide more detail. Otherwise, we really could use that reproducible test archive, so we can try to do some of these tests in house.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
              Carpal Tunnel
              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Aaron
              We're working on improving some of our error messaging
              Thanks. Glad to hear you overruled Craig's "No, we can't improve the error message because that's what the system told us happened."

Originally posted by Aaron
              Otherwise, we really could use that reproducible test archive, so we can try to do some of these tests in house.
              I think you're confusing two reported issues As well you might, given someone merged the two threads here.

The test archive I made I did not reproduce the problem. If I get one that does, I'll send it over.

Comment

• Zoë
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by chrisjj
                Thanks. Glad to hear you overruled Craig's "No, we can't improve the error message because that's what the system told us happened."
                He hasn't, there are two issues. I've improved the error message for delete, and it will now correctly report "The media is write protected" rather than "Delete failed". I still don't have the foggiest idea what "The requested value cannot be determined" means or how you triggered it, so that will remain an issue until we get enough information to reproduce it inhouse.
                Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...