X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cstern
    Fanatic
    • Feb 2008

Feature request: Picture (file) browsing in compare

The headline is perhaps a little cryptic: what I am asking for is a way to browse file contents - for several files - more easily.

I use this for comparing pictures, but in principle I suppose it could apply to any type of file.

What I do now: have two panes of files (some with the same name) in folder compare. When I double click one of these identical filename files they are compared and a new tab comparison opens - if it is a picture the two images are shown and the differences, if any, are highlighted. This is all good.

What I am asking is really just a small amendment in the comparison tab - e.g. if I press the up- or down-arrow button I suggest that the comparison tab would display the previous or next identical filename match. In effect it would be easy to "browse" comparisons for all the identical named files in the two folders without going back to the first tab and double click the next set (and open yet another comparison tab)

The problem with this is of course that the arrow keys do other things for non-picture comparisons. In that case perhaps a small up-down icon which I could click in the comparison tab could do the trick.

Note: to comply with the current behavior perhaps the up- down- arrows should just open the next file(s) regardless if there is a name match or not (i.e. if it just exist on one of the sides in FC it would still open - like when you double click a file without a "partner" on the other side).

Best wishes

Claus
    Last edited by cstern; 31-Jan-2015, 04:42 AM. Reason: folder compare, picture compare
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Would you need to open a pair of files if they were determined to be equal?

Beyond Compare already has a command very similar to this. To use Next Difference Files:
    Load a Folder Compare, and run a Rules-based scan to get the "double-click" viewer results for all files. You can then open a pair of different files. Once in this child view, hit Ctrl+M to go to the next different pair of files in from the parent Folder Compare.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...