X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ggeldenhuys
    Journeyman
    • May 2014

Folder Sync doesn't see or copy owner/group information

I'm using the latest BC 3.x for Linux. I wanted to use BC instead of rsync to sync folders from one data drive to another. I did some small tests before I copy the 3TB's of data.

During my tests I noticed a few issues with BC3 as a syncing tool

1. BC3 doesn't detect file owner/group changes. eg: I did a sync, then changed the group of a file and did a full refresh. BC3 didn't detect any changes.

2. When BC3 copies the files from one folder to the other, it doesn't keep the owner/group information. It changed the destination file's owner and group to my current user. eg: I had a file in the souce directory with owner/group as graemeg:firebird but after the folder sync the target file's owner/group was set to graemeg:graemeg

I've been using BC for many years for syncing source code, merging patches etc. I wanted to start using other features of BC too, but it seems BC needs a bit more work in that department.

I haven't tried a trial of BC4 under Linux yet, so I don't know if the above issues are resolved in v4.

Regards,
    Graeme
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Comparing and copying Linux attributes, like user and group, is something on our Wishlist but is not currently supported (in BC3 or BC4). Our current comparison criteria is either a quick timestamp/size comparison, or a more detailed scan, controlled in the Session Settings, Comparison tab.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Echel0n
      New User
      • Feb 2016

Overzealous Wishful Thinking

Originally posted by Aaron
      Comparing and copying Linux attributes, like user and group, is something on our Wishlist but is not currently supported (in BC3 or BC4). Our current comparison criteria is either a quick timestamp/size comparison, or a more detailed scan, controlled in the Session Settings, Comparison tab.
      More than a year after your post, the functionality of comparing and copying linux file attributes, which are absolutely critical in linux, is still on your wishlist. This is a huge issue for linux users! I am so glad I stumbled across this information as I was just minutes away from purchasing (wasting a lot of money on) your software and multiple licenses for my firm.

In order to avoid claims of deceptive trade practices and/or fraud by nondisclosure, you really ought to make it very clear on your main product website, and particularly your purchase pages, that your software fails to handle an aspect of files that is crucial for linux systems.

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Sorry, we're a very small company developing and supporting an application across three platforms. We don't always have the resources to add features as quickly as we'd like.

Beyond Compare is available as a fully functional 30 day trial, so we always recommend evaluating the trial version to make sure it meets your needs before purchasing a license.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...