• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TDN
    Journeyman
    • Jan 2013

Unable to load: Access is denied

Hello,

I'm using the latest BC4 build 19477 and loading UNC path is no longer working (it used to work in BC3). Here's what my script looks like and the errors that I get:

load "C:\Files" "\\SomeServer\Backups"
    Unable to load \\SOMESERVER: Access is denied
    Fatal Scripting Error: Unable to load base folder

The script runs fine, however, if I change it to load the mapped drive:
    load "C:\Files" "O:\Backups"

Please advise.

Thanks,
    TDN
    Last edited by TDN; 20-Jan-2015, 09:49 AM.
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Is the drive letter mapped as a user account separate from the account running Beyond Compare? If you access with a UNC path, it is probably trying to authenticate as the currently logged on user account.

Also, what version of Windows are you running Beyond Compare on?

What operating system is providing the network share?
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• TDN
      Journeyman
      • Jan 2013

The drive letter is mapped for the same user account as the account running Beyond Compare. Both the servers I'm running and the one providing the network share are on Win2008.
      Please note that it works fine if I switch to using BC3.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks. If you launch the BC4 graphical interface and then type in and hit Enter to load that \\server\folder path, what occurs in the GUI? Are there extra error prompts or a prompt for username/password? Is there a Save Password option available?

Please note, you can have BC3 and BC4 installed on the same Windows machine at the same time, so you can setup and use BC3 while we help troubleshoot BC4.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• TDN
          Journeyman
          • Jan 2013

The first time I open the BC4 GUI, it gives me an error when I reopen the last session: "Error opening folder" and then a pop-up window that says"Folder Not Available". Also, username is displayed with "Unable to load \\SOMESERVER: Access is denied. However, if I then type in and hit Enter to load then it compares again. It is strange behavior to me.

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello,

Is there a difference between typing in and hitting Enter, and hitting Retry on the Folder Not Available dialog? Is the text string identical, if you copy/paste and compare the two paths in the Text Compare?
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• TDN
              Journeyman
              • Jan 2013

Path \\SOMESERVER are all upper case even when I type in as lower case. Does it matter?

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

The case shouldn't matter, but worth noting just in case it is related to the issue. My question is more along the lines of: if you hit "Retry" on the Failed to load folder dialog, does this work? Or does Retry fail, but then typing it in work for some reason?

At that point, we'd want to determine why the Retry path is failing, and how is it different than the working path.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Chris
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

This should be fixed in BC 4.0.6 that we just released today.
                  Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• TDN
                    Journeyman
                    • Jan 2013

We installed BC 4.0.6 and it looks like the issue is resolved. Thanks!

Comment

Working...