X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CHeil402
    New User
    • Jan 2015

Beyond Compare Protocol Handler

I can't seem to find this, but it might be a useful addition to Beyond Compare. Is there a way to launch Beyond Compare from a protocol handler natively without creating one myself? For example, the 'mailto://' protocol handler opens your default email client and can pass query parameters to populate fields. The only way I know currently to have a user's local copy of Beyond Compare to open to a pre-set grouping of files is to have them download a .bat file that calls on the existing CLI interface. This isn't ideal as there is the middle group of the .bat file.

Ideally there would be something like a 'beyondcompare://' protocol handler that would allow the same query parameters that the CLI currently handles which would allow posing a link on a page that opens the files of interest locally without the .bat middle man.

Is this something worth adding to as a new feature? The CLI and scripting is great in Beyond Compare, but there isn't a way to load something from an intranet page easily. Thanks.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

We don't have a method to launch this way, but if your security protocols allow it, you could use something similar to:
    "file://C:/tools/batfile.bat"
    Found here:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3...from-a-browser
    It appears this is likely blocked in most cases, due to the security risk.

It looks like the recommended approach might be to use a custom application (middleman) developed to be called from the Intranet, then pass to the installed application:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=VS.85%29.aspx

We would probably not be able to develop this type of application on the short-term, but our scripting should be able to integrate with it if you were to create one. You will probably want to use a Portable Install, so that the current Windows User does not control which settings (in their %AppData%) are used.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...