Edit no longer works Version 4.0.2 (build 19186)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cocoanut
    Journeyman
    • Aug 2014

Edit no longer works Version 4.0.2 (build 19186)

It was working before the update, now I can't edit stuff under version control. Can anyone else reproduce this?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Could we get a bit more info on your OSX version, the VCS you are using and it's version?

Have you had a chance to reboot to double check if your system or our app is in a bad state?

Does BC4 display "Editing Disabled" in the lower status bar of the Text Compare? Or are you in a Text Merge session type?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• cocoanut
      Journeyman
      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Aaron
      Could we get a bit more info on your OSX version, the VCS you are using and it's version?

Have you had a chance to reboot to double check if your system or our app is in a bad state?

Does BC4 display "Editing Disabled" in the lower status bar of the Text Compare? Or are you in a Text Merge session type?
      Hi,
      Thanx for the reply. I'm using Yosemite 10.10.1. I did try rebooting. I'm using Git and Sourcetree as the Gui. It is showing "editing disabled". I never had any issues before the latest update editing source files. It's an objective c file. Thoughts?

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

We would need the specific setup information at this point. Editing Disabled would indicate that a parameter is configured to mark it (purposefully) as read-only.

In fact, if you followed the directions here:
        http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...osx#sourcetree
        The -ro tag is supposed to make the diff read-only. Removing this tag may be dangerous, if you are then able to edit a file SourceTree does not intend to let you edit. You could alter the tag to be -ro1 or -ro2 to only prevent editing on a specific side.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• cocoanut
          Journeyman
          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Aaron
          We would need the specific setup information at this point. Editing Disabled would indicate that a parameter is configured to mark it (purposefully) as read-only.

In fact, if you followed the directions here:
          http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...osx#sourcetree
          The -ro tag is supposed to make the diff read-only. Removing this tag may be dangerous, if you are then able to edit a file SourceTree does not intend to let you edit. You could alter the tag to be -ro1 or -ro2 to only prevent editing on a specific side.
          Hi,
          Ok. I'll have a look at this when I get a chance. Thanx.

Comment

• cocoanut
            Journeyman
            • Aug 2014

Hi,
            Removing -ro lets you edit the file. Just wondering why you think this might be dangerous to edit files in Beyond Compare.

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

In most cases, it is a file under Source Control that is not meant to be edited directly without checking in/out. It may be a temp file that is used only for display/diffing. It depends a bit on the Source Control software, but if the configuration recommends -ro1 or -ro2 that side should probably be read-only.

I notice our instructions have -ro rather than a specific side for Source Tree. This may be overkill to have both sides read-only, as the local side (your current local file) could probably allow editing. Many of our Source Control instructions are customer submitted. If you have any feedback or updates, it would be appreciated.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...