X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oldmankit
    Visitor
    • Nov 2014

How do I set default file size units?

I'm comparing two folders and have got a huge list of files and folders. The 'Size' column confuses me. I see the first folder is 68.7 GB, another is 7,196,909, and then a file is 8.

68.7 GB makes perfect sense to me. I guess that 8 is '8 bytes', which I know is tiny. But I'm not so good with converting millions. Is that 7.2 MB?

I know that if I do some research I'll find the answer to those questions, but I'd much prefer to be able to set the default file size to MB and above. I don't want to have to look at how many commas there are and calculate whether it's megabytes or something else. I want to see it at a glance.

I had a good look through the settings, and also searched, but nowhere could I see a setting for default file/folder size units.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

The width of the column determines the detail length. We show as much detail as we can, but if you make the column narrower we'll begin to round to a larger set of units.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• oldmankit
      Visitor
      • Nov 2014

Shrinking Columns

Thanks very much for getting back to me. I gave that a try.

I start with two files:
      Code:
      File One: 1.38 MB
      File Two: 382,298
      I then shrink that column a little:
      Code:
      File One: 1.38 ...
      File Two: 382,298
      This doesn't help me, because it's 1.38 somethings. It could be GB.

I shrink it further:
      Code:
      File Two: 373 KB
      I still don't know what the 1.38 means, but at last I see something more human and meaningful for file two.

And further:
      Code:
      File Two: 373 ...
      And now I'm just lost.

Unfortunately shrinking the columns doesn't seem to help me. What I think would be easiest to get the maximum detail from with the minimum mental processing is precisely how Windows Explorer does it, but this doesn't seem possible in Beyond Compare:

Code:
      File One: 1.38 MB
      File Two: 374 KB
      Never mind, I can live with it!

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Thanks for the feedback. Leaving it at a maximum value would probably be best in this case, and we'll look into what we can do to help improve the readability.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...