Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Using SSH/SFTP configuration

Hi,

I have an existing ssh configuration in my ~/.ssh/config and various keys in that directory as well. Is there a way I can use this existing configuration, aliases, keys, etc... in BC4 instead of having to create a new key in BC4 and then having to distribute that new key to all the servers I have access to.

I couldn't find anything in the documentation about this, in fact there seems to be very little on using SFTP in the docs.

I have also tried to configure a profile to one of my servers using my existing OpenSSH keys and that doesn't appear to work either, despite the docs suggesting that OpenSSH keys are compatible. In the log window I just get a message about "No more authentication methods available" however it doesn't even appear to have tried any methods as this appears directly after the line detailing the servers fingerprint key.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Andrew

Hello,

Configuring the profile in the Profiles dialog, specific profile, Login tab has the option to browse and use a private key. You will want to verify that the password is blank and Save Password is disabled, and that there is not also a Global Private key defined in the <default> session.

If you try using another SFTP client, like Filezilla, does the same key defined for it work?

If you could email us a pair of log files (BC4's attempt and Filezilla) we may be able to better pinpoint what might not be working. If you email us at support@scootersoftware.com, please also include a link back to this forum thread for our reference.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Hi Aaron,

Firstly this is what I already tried and it didn't work. I will give it a try with Transmit and see what happens.

Secondly, you didn't address my point about using the alias already configured in the .ssh/config file, is it not possible to use them?

Kind regards,

Andrew.

Default .ssh/config aliases

Hi, is there some way of either getting BC4 to use the ~/.ssh/config file, or at least these Host alias sections of it?

I've been using the .ssh/config file to define aliases for ssh and sftp, for AWS EC2 hosts, which have long-winded unmemorable names which are different each time I request a new one. I have a script to generate the config file format, which uses the AWS boto3 API to get the list of machines with their public DNS names, so I don't have to do a load of cut & paste.

There's an example below, which defines an alias "am0" to point to the ec2-bla-bla DNS Hostname. (ssh picks up the default key from .ssh/id_rsa)

Host am0
    HostName ec2-52-209-233-27.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com
    User ubuntu
    Port 22

(I guess an alternative would be to write/modify the BCProfiles.xml file at the same time as the .ssh/config, but it would me save a bit of work if you can already read .ssh/config. And can I update the BCProfiles.xml while BC4 is running - will it pick up any mods, or ignore them and overwrite the file?)

Many thanks!

Sorry, no, BC4 doesn't support reading any of the ~/.ssh/config file. Updating BCProfiles.xml is the supported way, and yes, it will detect and reload if the file has been modified externally. I've added for reading the aliases from that file to our wishlist and we'll consider it for a future release. I don't expect it in the near future though.
    ZoŽ P Scooter Software