X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tmallory
    Visitor
    • Nov 2014

Bulk Comparison of Photos Using BC

I am currently working on a large photo library for a client. They have over 100,000 photos that are split into three separate iPhoto library files. As you may know, these are not organized in a traditional directory structure - its literally three files containing everything. There are a ton of albums in each library, but there are also "loose" photos that do not belong to *any* album but are still part of the library. The primary goal is to export everything into one structured file directory, including a folder for the "loose" photos to be categorized by the client later on. Here's what I'm thinking...

1. Individually export each album from all three of the iPhoto libraries to similarly named folders in a new directory.

2. Bulk export of all photos from all three of the iPhoto libraries to the root of a second new directory.

3. Bulk copy of all of the photos from the "albums" directory into a third new directory.

4. Compare the contents of the first and third new "bulk" directories to determine which photos aren't categorized into albums.

5. Copy the uncategorized photos into a folder in the second new directory (the "albums" directory).

Can step #4 be handled by Beyond Compare? There are a lot of photos with identical file names, so it looks like I can't do a straight-up filename comparison between these two bulk directories. Can Beyond Compare accurately compare EXIF data or use other methods of photo analysis?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

The Identical file names would cause an issue. Beyond Compare can Ignore Folder Structure, to remove the folders from the alignment, but the file name is always important and is aligned before any comparison is done. With multiple, identical file names, if the folder structure is removed we can't be sure which to align; the view is intended for all unique file names.

Beyond Compare's default comparison is a Picture Compare, which compares the pixel values of your photos. You can also run a Binary scan, which can tell you if there is any difference between the two files. We also have an EXIF format for download for the Windows version, which can compare EXIF values in the Text Compare:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/downl...oreformats_win
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• tmallory
      Visitor
      • Nov 2014

I currently have the two bulk folders created that I am attempting to compare to determine which photos are missing from the other. There are about 39,000 photos in one folder and about 41,000 in the other folder. I downloaded/imported the EXIF header add-on, but it looks like the text (w/ EXIF) and photo comparison options are strictly for single file-to-file comparisons.

Is there a way to select entire folders/directories for these types of comparisons so that I can determine what those ~2,000 files are?

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

To make the Folder Compare use the same comparison method as double clicking to view the contents of a pair of files, select "Session > Session Settings" or click the Rules toolbar button. In the Comparison tab, check Compare Contents and select "Rules-based comparison".

Rules-based comparison uses the list in "Tools > File Formats" to determine how to compare the contents of files. It will use the highest format in the list with a matching file mask.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• tmallory
          Visitor
          • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Chris
          To make the Folder Compare use the same comparison method as double clicking to view the contents of a pair of files, select "Session > Session Settings" or click the Rules toolbar button. In the Comparison tab, check Compare Contents and select "Rules-based comparison".

Rules-based comparison uses the list in "Tools > File Formats" to determine how to compare the contents of files. It will use the highest format in the list with a matching file mask.
          Just tried this (using only EXIF data in file formats) with "differences, but no orphans" selected and BC still seems to be using file names.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wLRkyG5.png
Views:	1
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	76303

Can BC be configured to completely ignore filenames? I essentially want it to look at the first item in directory A, browse directory B until it finds that file that has identical EXIF data (if existing), and then move onto the second item in directory A and do the same (and so on, and so on for the rest of directory A).

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Unfortunately, not. BC4 will first align by filename, then run the comparison as configured (in this case, a rules-based scan of EXIF information).

The only override we have for filename is Alignment Overrides, which can have a defined rule to align file names that match the rule. This is used when a common rename has occurred within a folder, for example: adding a prefix to a filename, or a change in extension. This wouldn't be able to look at EXIF data and then align by it.

Aligning by other criteria, such as CRC, filesize, timestamp, etc, is on our Wishlist, but is not currently supported.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• mzel
              Expert
              • Mar 2008

I have to second the original poster. Has there been any progress on the aforementioned feature on the wish list? My case is this:
              I had crashed my HDD. I need to restore the photos from several sources. Those restored from the formatted SD card have random names.
              My best option would be to compare them by EXIFs.
              BTW, after I installed the EXIF plugin picture comparison opens in EXIF mode, and I can not switch back to Picture mode

Comment

• mzel
                Expert
                • Mar 2008

I ended up doing the comparison in XnView using EXIF Date sort, and their batch rename feature. After that I did the final yes/no check in BC, which allowed me to eliminate the existing, but damaged pictures. Still would be nice to have this in BC. Feels like a missing feature in such a powerful differ.
                Yeah, I know the primary target audience was the programmers. However photographers can benefit form this too. I am both.

Comment

• Aaron
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

Thanks for the feedback. Our wishlist is not currently scheduled projects, but a place our developers go for ideas for future features and enhancements. I'll add your workaround notes and scenario to our entry on the subject; they may help if we're able to tackle this one.
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• mzel
                    Expert
                    • Mar 2008

BTW CRC comparison would not work in my case. The restored pictures are missing the thumbnails and the sidecars, but I can live with this. However the picture mode in BC correctly sees and compares the main image.

Comment

• Aaron
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

Thanks. CRC is one method we are looking into, but we'd like to handle scenarios like this as well. I'll add these note to your earlier scenario notes on the subject.
                      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• mzel
                        Expert
                        • Mar 2008

I am still not sure how to make the EXIF and Picture modes work at the same time. BC only picks up the first one. I do not see the other one in "rules" or "formats"

Comment

• Aaron
                          Team Scooter
                          • Oct 2007

Hello,

The Rules/Formats only shows the current view's formats. EXIF is actually a Text Compare format, so you would use the Session menu -> Compare Files Using -> Text Compare or Picture Compare, depending on which mode you need to view. We don't support viewing both at the same time.
                          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...