X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hirnstroem
    Visitor
    • Nov 2014

Escape for quit (BBv2.5.2/Windows)

Short: How to set the "Escape" key as shortcut to quit BC?

Long(er): Some time ago I removed the shortcut for quitting BC, it was the "escape" key. Now I want it back! Setting "escape" using the UI does not work, since the dialog is closed as soon as "escape" gets pressed (also true for "Ctrl + Esc" etc.). According to [1] the keyboard shortcuts are stored in the registry. I could not find them (changed a shortcut and compared registry keys -> no change). According to [1] preferences (which might include shortcuts, I don't know) can be exported. I did that and could not find any shortcuts.

[1] http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...zz=kb_settings
    Last edited by hirnstroem; 07-Nov-2014, 12:10 AM. Reason: BB -> BC
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

The ESC key is the default to close a File view, but not the Folder view. Is this the current behavior for you, or does the File View also have ESC disabled?

For BC4, this option is in the Tools menu -> Options dialog, Tweaks section, scroll down to Interface:
    "ESC key closes file views"

For BC2, you can use the Session menu -> Set Default, and Reset to Program defaults to revert to factory defaults for hotkeys, etc. You can use the Tools menu -> Export to back up all of your settings first, then re-import after restoring defaults.

Are you using BC2 (thread title) or BC4 (posted in forum section)?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• hirnstroem
      Visitor
      • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Aaron
      The ESC key is the default to close a File view, but not the Folder view. Is this the current behavior for you, or does the File View also have ESC disabled?
      ESC does neither close File nor Folder view. Before I deleted the shortcut (a long time ago), it surely closed File view.

For BC2, you can use the Session menu -> Set Default, and Reset to Program defaults to revert to factory defaults for hotkeys, etc. You can use the Tools menu -> Export to back up all of your settings first, then re-import after restoring defaults.
      Tried to revert to factory defaults ("Reset to Program defaults"), that didn't revert the "Exit" shortcut. Also uninstalling, rebooting, installing and rebooting again didn't revert it.

Under what key in the registry would those shortcuts be stored? Neither [1] nor [2] (nor any other key) contains anything that looks like it could hold those shortcut settings.

[1] HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare\Settings
      [2] HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare\FileViewer

[EDIT]
      Got a bit closer: When I set the "Exit" shortcut, a key [3] appears in the registry. When the shortcut is deleted, the key in registry doesn't disappear. As it seems only shortcuts different to factory settings are stored in registry. Now I just have to find out which DWORD to enter for ESC.

[3] HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare\FileViewer\Menu\Exit=0x100c01b
      [/EDIT]

Are you using BC2 (thread title) or BC4 (posted in forum section)?
      Definitely BCv2.5.2. Sorry for choosing the wrong section, didn't notice that...
      Last edited by hirnstroem; 07-Nov-2014, 12:41 AM. Reason: See [EDIT]...[/EDIT]

Comment

• hirnstroem
        Visitor
        • Nov 2014

Got it: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare\FileViewer\Menu\Exit=0x100001b

Standard windows key codes are used [1].

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.85).aspx
        Last edited by hirnstroem; 07-Nov-2014, 02:42 AM.

Comment

Working...