X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maurice
    Enthusiast
    • Jan 2008

Component selection after stopping compare

In addition to comparing files, I frequently use BC to simply find or exclude corresponding files in a different folder. I might need to copy or move, or open with application, get a count, or whatever. In BC3 and 4, folders/files are loaded extremely fast, but if I stop the compare, BC will not toggle components to either a) show only orphans, or b) exclude orphans.

In BC2, this was not a problem (Default compare rules-based):
    • Load two folders with pdf files
    • Wait for compare to load files
    • Stop compare
    • Deselect all components except left and right orphans (blue, single)
      Or
    • Deselect orphans (show only files with matching names)

Just wondering if there is some setting I’m missing, or if this can be changed.
    Thanks
  • maurice
    Enthusiast
    • Jan 2008

I forgot to mention, that I can turn off "compare contents" and file size, comparing only on timestamp which finishes extremely fast. Nevertheless, I didn't have to do this in BC2.

Comment

• Aaron
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

Hello,

Could you clarify what you mean by "not toggle components to show only orphans"? The display filters should always be active and clickable, but if items are unscanned (yellow) due to an Cancel, then they wouldn't have a status yet. In this case, in both BC2 and BC3/4, I'd expect the yellow items to show up when switching to Only Show Orphans display filters. What behavior are you seeing, and what would you like to see?

Do you have different configurations between how the versions scan folders (BC2, Session menu -> Comparison Criteria, Folder Handling section; BC3, Session menu -> Session Settings, Handling tab)?
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• maurice
        Enthusiast
        • Jan 2008

Session Settings are same:
        Quick: Compare file size; compare timestamps
        Opening: Compare Contents - Rule-Based; skip if quick tests indicate same; override quick test results.
        Handling: Auto scan subfolders in background (but not top-level orphan subfolders)

What I mean by "not toggle" is that the list of displayed filenames (after loading and immediately stopping the compare) doesn't change regardless of the toggle combo used. See screenshots of BC4 vs BC2.

FWIW, as you see in the BC4 screenshots, I don't see the aligned, uncompared filenames as yellow. Mine show as grey which appears to be the default.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for the screenshots. "Yellow" is reserved for the top level folders that have unscanned items in them. Light grey are the unscanned items themselves. In this case, BC2 would show the top/yellow unscanned folders but would hide unscanned items. BC4 shows both unscanned folders and items. We can look into what it would take to bring forward the BC2 behavior, but for the current version, I would suggest configuring a scan that is quicker or letting the scan complete if you need to hide unscanned files.

To do this, you can leave both quick tests enabled (timestamp/size). This is the default comparison, and disabling size won't have an impact on the speed of the scan. Enabling the content scan would, and you could run it later by re-enabling it or by selecting everything then running a Compare Contents command.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...