X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RobG
    Journeyman
    • Oct 2007

Weird SFTP Errors

I've been using BC4 to do folder comparisons (and sometimes file comparisons) between two SFTP locations... or from my local filesystem to an SFTP location. The SFTP location is a Windows server (2008) running FreeFTPD.

What happens is I load up BC4, open the saved session (or create a new one). I'll copy a single file from one side to the other. Later, I go to do it again, and it'll say it did, but it didn't. If I do a file compare, I can see that the two files are identical -- as in, BC4 never notices the change on my local filesystem.

If I do CMD-R to refresh it, I get a red error in the log area below complaining that it can't access the directory of either side. My only choice is to close BC4 and restart. This happens EVERY time, not just occasionally.

So for one, it seems that BC4 is caching the state of the server and the file I copied (or something like that), and just seems to have general issues with SFTP. At least that's my educated guess.

FWIW, I'm using the latest build, and it happens on both of my Macs... a late-2012 Mini running Mavericks, and my late 2013 rMPB13 running Yosemite Public Beta 4.

Rob
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Can you transfer files successfully to the server using an alternate SFTP client?

I installed FreeFTPD on a test system here. I can login using BC4 and FileZilla, but they both fail to transfer files by SFTP, so it's possible it's a problem with FreeFTPD.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• RobG
      Journeyman
      • Oct 2007

Yeah, I use Filezilla with it regularly and it works fine. I also use the Windows version of BC3 on a Virtual Machine without issue as well. Its been my fallback option since BC4 on the Mac isn't working for me at all in that respect.

Rob

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Thanks, Rob.

I was able to set this up and I believe I've reproduced it. If you Full Refresh (or fully restart the app), you should see the changes actually were saved. We're looking into if this is a bug on our end or the server.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• RobG
          Journeyman
          • Oct 2007

Thanks Aaron. Yeah I found if I quit/reload, it does tend to help. I had another related issue, you may have seen this too, is that sometimes the filenames in the directory list will appear all garbled, which of course tends to freak out BC since it's trying to associate one pane to the other.

FWIW, none of these issues exist in BC3 for Windows... may or may not help with the debugging. As a fellow developer, I can appreciate that sort of info.

Comment

Working...