Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This worked great once I realized I needed to change the path to the bc4 path <forehead slap>. Thanks for your help, Aaron!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Thanks. "bc3" is a keyword that Git recognizes and then can properly call bcomp.exe as a difftool. It does not appear that "bc4" support has been added, but since we haven't changed our command line from BC3 to BC4, I found this worked for the latest release.

Git instructions on site indicated the following commands under Git for Windows Diff and 3-way Merge:
    git config --global difftool.bc3.path "c:/Program Files (x86)/Beyond Compare 4/bcomp.exe"
    git config --global mergetool.bc3.path "c:/Program Files (x86)/Beyond Compare 4/bcomp.exe"

I changed these commands to:
    git config --global difftool.bc3.path "c:/Program Files/Beyond Compare 4/bcomp.exe"
    git config --global mergetool.bc3.path "c:/Program Files/Beyond Compare 4/bcomp.exe"

Diff & 3-way Merge worked fine after the change.
    BComp.exe was not in C:/Program Files (x86), it was in C:\Program Files.

Hello,

BC4.1 added 64bit support. The 32bit install is located in x86, and if that version is updated to 64bit it remains in the same directory, similar to other programs which update in place without requiring an Uninstall.

If 4.0 is uninstalled first, or a fresh 4.1 install, it will place the 64bit version in Program Files\.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Old thread, but in case someone stumbles across it in Google like me, I had to escape the $LOCAL/$REMOTE variables to stop them coming up blank (resulting in no files being loaded by BC4):

Wrong:
    git config --global mergetool.bc4.cmd ""c:/program files/beyond compare 4/bcomp.exe" "$LOCAL" "$REMOTE" "$BASE" "$MERGED""
    $ git config --global mergetool.bc4.cmd
    "c:/program files/beyond compare 4/bcomp.exe" "" "" "" ""

Right:
    $ git config --global mergetool.bc4.cmd ""c:/program files/beyond compare 4/bcomp.exe" "\$LOCAL" "\$REMOTE" "\$BASE" "\$MERGED""
    $ git config --global mergetool.bc4.cmd
    "c:/program files/beyond compare 4/bcomp.exe" "$LOCAL" "$REMOTE" "$BASE" "$MERGED"

For people with fresh recent (2017) installs of BC4 and Git on Windows (64-bit BC4, no 32-bit BC4, Windows Git 2.10.0+) instructions listed here in the site work fine for me with one big caveat: I had to run them from a directory other than my git project directory (wasted a lot of time unfortunately cleaning the config files retrying etc.); run these from another place such as your home directory (wherever you don't have a git project),

git config --global diff.tool bc
    git config --global difftool.bc.path "c:/Program Files/Beyond Compare 4/bcomp.exe"

git config --global merge.tool bc
    git config --global mergetool.bc.path "c:/Program Files/Beyond Compare 4/bcomp.exe"