How can I change the language of the Beyond Compare 4 user interface on OSX?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dudido
    Visitor
    • Jun 2011

Thanks
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

The Mac version of Beyond Compare supports English, German, and French localizations. It is a single installer, the language should be automatically set based on the system localization settings on your Mac. It isn't possible to manually set it to a different language. As an example, it isn't possible to have your Mac set to English but force Beyond Compare to run in French.

If you have your Mac set to German or French and Beyond Compare isn't using the matching language, please let us know.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Zoë
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

To expand on what Chris said, it's controlled by a system-wide setting. Go into the System Preferences, then Language & Region, and change the "Preferred languages" option. It's an ordered list, and it will automatically use the highest one that BC supports.
      Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• dudido
        Visitor
        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Craig
        To expand on what Chris said, it's controlled by a system-wide setting.
        Please implement a feature in the preferences to override the system-wide setting.

Thanks for the support.

Comment

• Zoë
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

The current behavior is the standard way that Mac apps handle translation selection, so all of the Apple apps at least work the exact same way. Is there something wrong with our translation?
          Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• dudido
            Visitor
            • Jun 2011

There is nothing wrong with the translation (although I didn't check), but as in many other languages, non-established technical terminology is sometimes confusing and somehow arbitrary, so after using computers for 25 years, English language UIs just come easier. So it just takes more time since I actually need to make an effort to read the text and understand it. But that is a general linguistic issue relating to I18N- not one of BC. But as a workaround it would be nice to have a way to manually override language preferences.

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Do you know any example Mac apps that provide a method of overriding the language? The method we're currently using is what we understand to be the standard behavior and we'd need to research alternatives.

If you want all Mac Apps to be in English if possible, have you considered changing your system language to English?
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• EarMaster
                New User
                • Feb 2016

Originally posted by dudido
                You may have found this solution somewhere else already, but I found this thread while looking for a way to do this and want to share the way I solved this.

With defaults write com.ScooterSoftware.BeyondCompare AppleLanguages '("en-US")' you can force BeyondCompare to use English instead of the system language.

Comment

Working...