• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cowwoc
    Journeyman
    • Aug 2010

BC3 not displaying expected value in Merge window

Hi,

I am attempting to fix https://bitbucket.org/tortoisehg/thg...arent-displays

Ideally, I want to display two panels on top (the two revisions being merged) and the merged result at the bottom. Does BC3 offer such a UI combination? (I assume not)

Assuming this was not possible, I tried implementing the following:

Top left panel: first revision
    Top right panel: second revision
    Top center panel: merged revision
    Bottom (wide) panel: merged revision

In other words, I wanted the bottom (wide) panel to match the top center panel. I used the following command line:

BCompare.exe first.txt second.txt merged.txt merged.txt

Unfortunately, the bottom (wide) panel still contains a different value than the top-center panel. It seems the bottom panel always contains the result of BC3 auto-merge with annotated conflicts.

Seeing as we're displaying a read-only 3-way merge where the merge has already taken place, it is confusing for the bottom panel to show a merge that never took place. Users get confused thinking this is what the merge actually looked like. Is it possible to override this behavior?

Thank you,
    Gili
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

It isn't possible to do this. The output panel will always display the auto-merge.

The fourth command line argument defines where the merge output is saved. It is not possible to display an input filename in the output pane.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• cowwoc
      Journeyman
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Chris
      It isn't possible to do this. The output panel will always display the auto-merge.

The fourth command line argument defines where the merge output is saved. It is not possible to display an input filename in the output pane.
      Hi Chris,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Is it possible to add this feature in future releases?

I think it is preferable to display the old revisions on top and the merged revision in big on the bottom (eliminating the auto-merge window altogether).

Gili

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

By design, the center pane of the Text Merge is always the common Ancestor, and shouldn't be a pre-merged output. BC4 itself generates the merge based on the top 3 panes. If you already have a program that performed the merge, you could compare that output to one other file using the Text Compare session type.

We do not currently have a 3-way Text Compare, but this is on our wishlist.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• cowwoc
          Journeyman
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Aaron
          By design, the center pane of the Text Merge is always the common Ancestor, and shouldn't be a pre-merged output. BC4 itself generates the merge based on the top 3 panes. If you already have a program that performed the merge, you could compare that output to one other file using the Text Compare session type.

We do not currently have a 3-way Text Compare, but this is on our wishlist.
          Will a 3-way Text Compare look like 3-way Text Merge without the bottom panel? Meaning, the output should highlight the diff between the left and center pane, and right and center pane, but it won't calculate any kind of merging operation (the merge was already committed).

Is that correct?

Thanks,
          Gili

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

We don't have a firm design on how a 3-way Text Compare would look, but I've added your notes to our wishlist.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• cowwoc
              Journeyman
              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Aaron
              We don't have a firm design on how a 3-way Text Compare would look, but I've added your notes to our wishlist.
              That's fine. I'm not stuck on any particular look either. I just wanted to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

Thanks,
              Gili

Comment

• nashev
                Visitor
                • Dec 2013

Originally posted by cowwoc
                That's fine. I'm not stuck on any particular look either. I just wanted to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

Thanks,
                Gili
                Is any movements until now in this request?
                Could You just add -noAutoMerge key into the command line and just do display bottom pane and some buttons in a toolbar?

Comment

• Aaron
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

Hello,

This is still on our wishlist, but it's quite as easy as disabling or resizing some panels.
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• nashev
                    Visitor
                    • Dec 2013

And still no movements? Just add a command-line key and put into down panel a file content instead of auto-merging result?..

Here may be a difficult to resolve problem with adjusting this bottom content with lines from the three top panels, isn't it?

Comment

• Aaron
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

No, the Text Merge weights the center column as a Common Ancestor, and not three equally weighted inputs. It's not as simple as hiding the bottom pane, which the Merge currently supports and you can pop it out if you need more vertical space. But it still revolves around a Merge task and not a Compare, which will require its own new session type. It's something still on our radar, but not a small project.
                      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...