Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    12

    Question BC3 not displaying expected value in Merge window

    Hi,

    I am attempting to fix https://bitbucket.org/tortoisehg/thg...arent-displays

    Ideally, I want to display two panels on top (the two revisions being merged) and the merged result at the bottom. Does BC3 offer such a UI combination? (I assume not)

    Assuming this was not possible, I tried implementing the following:

    Top left panel: first revision
    Top right panel: second revision
    Top center panel: merged revision
    Bottom (wide) panel: merged revision

    In other words, I wanted the bottom (wide) panel to match the top center panel. I used the following command line:

    BCompare.exe first.txt second.txt merged.txt merged.txt

    Unfortunately, the bottom (wide) panel still contains a different value than the top-center panel. It seems the bottom panel always contains the result of BC3 auto-merge with annotated conflicts.

    Seeing as we're displaying a read-only 3-way merge where the merge has already taken place, it is confusing for the bottom panel to show a merge that never took place. Users get confused thinking this is what the merge actually looked like. Is it possible to override this behavior?

    Thank you,
    Gili

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    4,609

    Default

    It isn't possible to do this. The output panel will always display the auto-merge.

    The fourth command line argument defines where the merge output is saved. It is not possible to display an input filename in the output pane.
    Chris K Scooter Software

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    It isn't possible to do this. The output panel will always display the auto-merge.

    The fourth command line argument defines where the merge output is saved. It is not possible to display an input filename in the output pane.
    Hi Chris,

    Thanks for the prompt reply. Is it possible to add this feature in future releases?

    I think it is preferable to display the old revisions on top and the merged revision in big on the bottom (eliminating the auto-merge window altogether).

    Gili

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    11,612

    Default

    By design, the center pane of the Text Merge is always the common Ancestor, and shouldn't be a pre-merged output. BC4 itself generates the merge based on the top 3 panes. If you already have a program that performed the merge, you could compare that output to one other file using the Text Compare session type.

    We do not currently have a 3-way Text Compare, but this is on our wishlist.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    By design, the center pane of the Text Merge is always the common Ancestor, and shouldn't be a pre-merged output. BC4 itself generates the merge based on the top 3 panes. If you already have a program that performed the merge, you could compare that output to one other file using the Text Compare session type.

    We do not currently have a 3-way Text Compare, but this is on our wishlist.
    Will a 3-way Text Compare look like 3-way Text Merge without the bottom panel? Meaning, the output should highlight the diff between the left and center pane, and right and center pane, but it won't calculate any kind of merging operation (the merge was already committed).

    Is that correct?

    Thanks,
    Gili

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    11,612

    Default

    We don't have a firm design on how a 3-way Text Compare would look, but I've added your notes to our wishlist.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    We don't have a firm design on how a 3-way Text Compare would look, but I've added your notes to our wishlist.
    That's fine. I'm not stuck on any particular look either. I just wanted to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

    Thanks,
    Gili

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by cowwoc View Post
    That's fine. I'm not stuck on any particular look either. I just wanted to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

    Thanks,
    Gili
    Is any movements until now in this request?
    Could You just add -noAutoMerge key into the command line and just do display bottom pane and some buttons in a toolbar?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    11,612

    Default

    Hello,

    This is still on our wishlist, but it's quite as easy as disabling or resizing some panels.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •