X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisjj
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Apr 2008

18628 MTP failure to recognise device

Often when I unplg and replug and MTP device, an existing BC view fails to recognise it.

E.g. I viewed a device in BC, unplugged, replugged, verified the device was visible in Explorer, then in BC pressed CTRL+F5... but BC failed to recognise it:

http://i.imgur.com/0KtXgzs.png

Even at root: http://i.imgur.com/zCKXcOr.png

Restarting BC did not remedy this.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Thanks for the report. MTP support varies a bit device to device, so it is tricky to track down some of these issues. Thanks for the help testing it.

When you restart BC4, could you verify that the BCompare.exe process was completely shut down?

If you unplug/replug the device again, does that help get it working again? Is there anything different or noticeable between a working plug-in and a not-working plug-in, such as Autoplay not popping up?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
      Carpal Tunnel
      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Aaron
      MTP support varies a bit device to device, so it is tricky to track down some of these issues.
      Understood. Note that this (like the other MTP issues I have reported) does not occur on the other programs I use with this model of device.

When you restart BC4, could you verify that the BCompare.exe process was completely shut down?
      I verified BC was shut down http://i.imgur.com/VP1eAeO.png before I relaunched. Closing all other programs that I know able to access MTP, except Explorer does not help. Next time, I'll try that before launching BC.

If you unplug/replug the device again, does that help get it working again?
      It doesn't help get BC working again.

Is there anything different or noticeable between a working plug-in and a not-working plug-in
      The working plug-in is the first plug-in. In this case, the second and all subsequent are non-working.

such as Autoplay not popping up?
      No autoplay is seen on this device. I probably disabled it long ago.
      Last edited by chrisjj; 22-Aug-2014, 12:00 PM.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

With the test Zen we have in office, a Full Refresh (or clicking in the base path and hitting Enter) does detect the reconnected device and reloads the compare. You mentioned having multiple Zens; does this same behavior happen for all of them or only some or a specific model?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
          Carpal Tunnel
          • Apr 2008

With the test Zen we have in office, a Full Refresh (or clicking in the base path and hitting Enter) does detect the reconnected device and reloads the compare.
          Interesting. FWIW, the firmware here is 1.21.03 - the latest.

You mentioned having multiple Zens; does this same behavior happen for all of them or only some or a specific model?
          ZEN is a specific model (capacity aside). I have had BC problems with both units (2Gb and 8Gb) that I have tried with BC. I have not tried the different models I have - ZEN Style and ZEN X-Fi.

Trying now with six other ZEN units (FTR, IDs A, K, M, U, T, W, 2/4/8Gb) I find about half of them showed this fail when first plugged, but unlike P, did not show it after BC exit, launch and unplug/plug. Now P succeeds too.

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Version 1.21.03e on this device, the 2gig model. It is possible it's a load issue; there are very few songs loaded on this for now. I'll try to sync more over, and look into trying to dig up an SD card to load in as well.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

No SD card yet, but a Full Refresh or 'Enter' in the base folder path are consistently, successfully loading the device.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
                Carpal Tunnel
                • Apr 2008

Version 1.21.03e
                That's the Eurpean variant of the US version I am using. TMK, it differs only in having a volume limit.

Comment

Working...