X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soup
    Enthusiast
    • Jan 2004

ssh / sftp cannot login with no root password

As the title says, trying to login with ssh, user root and no(blank) password.
    Does not seem to work, says password authentification failed.

Any suggestions ?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Does your 'root' actually have no password? Or are you trying to use our private/public key pair solution instead of a password?

If a user has no password, you can have the password be blank and check Save Password. If you need BC4 to use a configured private/public key pair, you should have no password and Save Password should be disabled (Different than BC3's behavior).

Also, are you using SSH or SFTP? Can you verify that you can establish an SFTP connection using the same criteria in another SFTP client, like Filezilla?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• bmw
      Visitor
      • Mar 2008

I also want to know how to do this. I want to do the equivalent of

ssh -i pemfile.pem user@host

where there is no password used

Thanks!

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

That's a private key authentication. You would define the SFTP profile, assign the private key .pem file, and have Save Password disabled.

However, not all SSH servers have SFTP enabled. You need to be able to connect as an SFTP client (not just ssh) in order to connect. To test, you can also try connecting with another SFTP client, like Filezilla. Does this work?

You can also use Putty's Pageant to manage your private keys. You would define your private key .pem file in this app, then attempt to connect using the profile with no password or key defined, and save password is disabled. You can then also try connecting with Putty. Putty supports SSH connections, so if it works and Filezilla and BC4 do not, that might be a good indicator that SSH is enabled but SFTP is disabled on your server.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...