Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Though I have mentioned this thing above, based on my experience, may I stress it again?

"you may consider to use the term "Ancestor Pane" EVERYWHERE in the application; and "Centre Pane"/"Centre Folder" is replaced appropriately - that will help in better understanding the feature."

Had there never been the terms "Centre Pane"/"Centre Folder" in the betas, and only "Ancestor Pane"/"Ancestor Folder" term been used since very beginning, my learning time for the new feature would have been lot less. Centre Pane gives impression that this pane also behaves similar to Left or right panes, just location is different. While "Ancestor Pane" gives impression that this pane will behave differently.

With Regards

Sanjiv Bansal

Default Three way Folder Merge & Three way Folder Compare

Hello,

While I am trying to make sense of Three way Folder Merge, I was wondering if you have considered to provide Three way Folder Compare also : where all three panes have equal behavior - where action can be performed to/from all panes similarly.

With Regards

Sanjiv Bansal

Default Arrows Panel on Extreme Left

Hello,

When I show/Hide the "Ancestor Pane", the panel on the extreme left that has colorful Arrows etc. also shows/Hides. Is it by design? I was thinking that it should always remain visible.

With Regards

Sanjiv Bansal

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback. I think the main point of confusion is that the center/Ancestor pane is the common, past ancestor, and is the opposite of the target of the output. The Left and Right are decedents of the common Ancestor. In a working scenario, the center pane is the code base at the time you checked it out before edits. The Left is how you then edited that code. The Right is how another co-worker edited the code since the time of your checkout. You are then merging your work and theirs from the common Ancestor/Root point in order to check back in. The left and right sides are interchangeable (yours and theirs can be left or right), but the center is always the common Ancestor.

The coloring in the left and right are all some people need to help process the merge, so the visibility of the center items is optional.

The Coloring is used to indicate the funnel and preview the merge. The icons are on the left side but aren't specific to the left column: they are icons for that row. The color and direction indicate which file is going to be placed in the output. Their left-most position is a GUI choice, similar to a Line Number appearing on the left side of a text view.

Does this help clear up how the Folder Merge can be used?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

As is the point of the beta, Center pane proved confusing so we updated the text to say "Ancestor"

The pane does behave differently. As the Ancestor, it controls the logic of the merge. The Left and Right are assumed to be common descendants, similar to the Text Merge session. The Folder Merge does not work as a "3 way folder compare"; the 3 panes are not equal. The left and right are equal, but the center Ancestor pane is a common point in history the left and right were edited from.

Update: I misread your original suggestion. Yes, that is a good idea to change our "Center" labels elsewhere to also be "Ancestor". I'll open a tracker entry for that.
    Last edited by Aaron; 11-Aug-2014 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Update
    Aaron P Scooter Software

A 3-way Folder Compare is on our wishlist, but is not supported in the current BC4 beta.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

This is a bug. We'll get that fixed in the next release.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

I agree with the points about the use of the terms center and Ancestor - I think that ancestor describes the functionality better, and the interface would be clearer if this name was used throughout. I notice that the release version I have (build 18847), the 'Specs' tab of the rules dialog still uses 'Center' folder, and the view menu uses Center pane. I think that these should be Ancestor folder and ancestor pane.

Given that you have more screen real estate in the rules dialog than the main screen, I think it would be helpful to have use slightly longer names on the specs tab such as 'Common Ancestor' (listed first rather than third) followed by 'Modified version A (left)' and 'Modified version B (Right)', and then 'Merge to (destination)', as pictured below (pretty rough but you should get the idea._
    FolderMergeSpecs.png

Thanks for the suggestion and screenshot demo. This is something we'll consider when reworking this area.
    Aaron P Scooter Software