X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cstern
    Fanatic
    • Feb 2008

Feature request: Filter on folder names

I would like to be able to select all folders containing a given string, with all files inside.

For instance I could have some folders named:
    spring2014
    summer2014
    autumn2014
    winter2014
    spring2013
    summer2013
    (you get the picture)

Inside all folders are some pictures with non-characteristic names such as dsc0020.jpg, dsc0021.jpg etc.

Now, if I wanted to copy all folders with the string "summer" in it it would have to do that manually (I guess?)

So I suggest the filter box should have a checkbox next to it with the caption "Filter folder names" which would mean if I selected *summer* as the filter I would select the folders matching the filter rather than the file names.

could be handy...
  • cstern
    Fanatic
    • Feb 2008

I should add that it should be recursive, i.e. select also folders deep down in the tree, not only in the selected directory. I can see that there is a option if I select the Filters button in the menu bar. But it does only work on the directory which is in the window, not folders deeper down.

If I have the path

c:\pictures\vacation\summer2013
    C:\pictures\vacation\winter2013

and the window is showing the c:\pictures directory a filter for *summer*\ would not select anything. the filter *vacation*\ would show the vacation folder and all files in it (plus all regular files in c:\pictures)

So to be more specific, I would like to be able to make a filter that selects all folders with a name matching a certain pattern, and the files within these folders, no matter how deep from the current folder ther are.
    In other words just like the file filters work.

Comment

• Aaron
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

Hello,

The filter you'd be looking for is:
      .\...\*summer*\

To show only those folders. You could also have a file name filter that is something similar to:
      .\...\*summer*\*.*

The Session Settings dialog, Name Filters tab, breaks the filter string down into Include and Exclude for Files and Folders.

Once you have the filter showing only the folders (and files inside) you want, the copy and sync commands would respect the filters.
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• bcdewul
        Old Hand
        • Sep 2010

Please allow me to step in here as I am facing a bit of the same problem.

I'd like to compare - say - 10 folders on drive X with 10 folders on drive Y

I open both drives, both contain a lot of folders.

Now I wish to see the folders (and sizes, of course) only with string ABC in the name.

Likely this is a piece of cake for others, but if one does not use this way of comparing on a regular basis, one tends to forget the ..\\..\..*.*\\ whatever stuff.
        As for me, I would prefer such filter on a GUI basis.

Or something under 'Other filters'?

I don't know.

Timebeing I donot know what the correct syntax would be to just see folders with ABC in the name.

Assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks!
        =

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Hello,

I'd suggest the same as above: .\...\*summer*\, with optional "*"'s depending on if you want to find an exact folder, or a folder with the word in it and also other characters.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...