Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hi Aaron,
    The block of code provided in post #7 is missing the [merge-tools] block so I wasn't sure where to put it. However, using the other "how to get BC to work" thread as a basis, I placed [merge-tools] both before and after the [tortoisehg] block. However, neither case changes the net result of being unable to compare two versions of a file.

After saving my config file changes, I reloaded the changes and then closed TorgoiseHG. I verified this closure by ensuring that the application disappeared from the 'Force Quit' menu. I also verified that bcomp was not running with 'ps -A | grep "bcomp"' (I actually didn't think of this for Tortoise, but the validation through the Force Quite menu should be sufficient).

There is another person in my group that is bringing up a Mac and has downloaded the trial version of BC. Oddly, he is getting erratic results with his configuration (which looks very much like mine). Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Needless to say, this is all very strange. :-(

Best regards,
    Alan

Hello,

Interesting. I was specifically referring to the order of:
    [extensions]
    [extdiff]
    [tortoisehg]

without merge for now, to make sure diff is up and working. I think we should try to troubleshoot the diff first, as a simpler case, and then move to Merge.

Also, while making sure bcomp is closed is a good step, I was actually saying that TortoiseHG should be fully shut down. I found that it did not accept edits to the configuration until I had done so.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Interesting... When I removed the merge-tools then it works fine! So, that is great news as a diagnostic step. However, now that this works, can you give a suggestion on how I get the merge tools to point to BC4? Truthfully, that is the whole reason I *bought* BC4 in the first place.

Thanks.

Hello,

With the latest release of TortoiseHG (3.1.1) , 'beyondcompare4' is now a menu item you can select and use. Does selecting it in the Workbench, Options get it working for you?

And, are you using BC4 Pro? The Text Merge (3-way merge) does require a pro license.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Unfortunately, the 3.1.1 version for the Mac is not yet up on the site it looks like, so I can't see the option you are talking about. However, to address your license question, yes, I have a Pro License for the product.

I'll wait a few days and see if the Mac version pops up.

Hello,

I think I figured out how to get it working for you. For that version on OSX, change the "diff" command to be "bcomp1" from bcomp, and change the merge to "bcomp2" from bcomp. And, be certain to fully shut down TortoiseHG and then restart the application to apply the changes.

I've seen a similar problem with specific versions of Git, where bcomp became a keyword in the configuration for a specific OS, but caused problems with the other OS distributions. Hopefully 3.1.1 updates and works with built-in support soon. If not, we'll need to update our instructions.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Default Same problem here : home screen, no comparison shown

Hi, I have exactly the same problem.I tried to modify the order of the sections in hgrc with no success. Did you succeed last year ?

Quote Originally Posted by MrMetric View Post
    I'm having the same issue as the OP so I thought I would revive this thread...
    Here are some of the specifics:
    Beyond Compare (and have run command line install): Version 4.0 beta (build 18746)
    TortoiseHG: 3.1
    Platform: OSX 10.9.4

Error description:
    Right click on a file that has been changed. Select 'Diff to Parent'. Expected result is to have BeyondCompare open and load the two versions of the file, highlighting the differences. Actual result is that BeyondCompare opens to the 'Home' screen without seeding the two files at all. In the left frame is the 'Sessions' droplist and in the main section is the selector to compare Folders, Merge, Sync, etc.

I have tried numerous different configuration setups in Tortoise but none seem to work. My current file is based on the suggestions contained in this thread, which mirror those in the consolidated thread as well.

The pertinent sections of the .hgrc file are as follows:
    Code:
    [ui]
    username = <<redacted>>
    verbose = True
    merge = bcomp
    editor = /Applications/TextWrangler.app/Contents/MacOS/TextWrangler

[tortoisehg]
    vdiff = bcomp

[extensions]
    extdiff =
    fetch =
    strip =
    rebase =
    reviewboard = <<redacted>>

[extdiff]
    cmd.bcomp = /usr/local/bin/bcomp
    opts.bcomp = -ro

[merge-tools]
    bcomp.executable = /usr/local/bin/bcomp
    bcomp.args = $local $other $base $output
    bcomp.priority = 1
    bcomp.premerge = True
    bcomp.gui = True
    I have tried commenting out opts.bcomp, changing the path to the App, removing the [merge-tools] section (I was desperate), etc. None of these made much of a difference.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Are you using the "bcomp" keyword for bcomp.executable = etc? As I mention in the previous post, some verisons of TortoiseHG have trouble using specific keywords, so you can get around this by using any other word, such as bcomp1 or bcomp2.

Also, in my testing, it was very important to fully shut down TortoiseHG between any setting changes, and be certain it was not running as a process in the background. Until a restart of the app, it would use the original cached settings.
    Aaron P Scooter Software