X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ericjs
    Visitor
    • Mar 2013

BC4 Context menus in KDE / Dolphin

I installed the latest BC4 on Chakra Linux (orignally Arch-based) with KDE 4.13.2 using the .tar.gz download and the install.sh that came with it. It seems to work fine, except for getting the context menus working. I'm uing Dolphin (the KDE default file manager these days) but I also checked Konquerer (since the .so has "konq" in its name) and they don't show there either.

The README suggests they should get installed as part of the install, but I did try the Manual Linux Context Menu Install Instructions, copying bcompare_ext_konq.amd64.so to /usr/lib/kde4
    and bcompare_ext_konq.desktop to /usr/share/kde4/services but that didn't work. I did enable the options in the BC options menu, and I did reboot after these changes. I missed the fact that I needed to remove the "amd64." from the filename the first time, but after making that change and rebooting again, still no dice.

I notice there is a kde_context_menu script that looks like it is called by the install.sh script. It looks to me like it wants to install stuff in the path ~/.kde4/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus however that path does not exist on my machine. ~/.kde4/share/kde4/services does exist, but there is no ServiceMenus under there (though I do have other app-specific context menus, like for KDiff3...

Is that a clue to why it isn't working? It's hard to know if that bit of the shell script was necessarily meant to execute, what with all the conditionalization going on.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Eric
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Thanks for the report. We have not tested on this Linux environment, but we've had a few reports of different KDE/Dolphin combinations that are having trouble. I'll add this information to our tracker entry on the subject.

In the meantime, please use the drag and drop from a File Explorer window onto an empty pane or file path in the BC4 interface, and that should allow for quicker mouse-based launching.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• ericjs
      Visitor
      • Mar 2013

Mine actually have started (at least partially) working or at least have shown up. I think it was as a side effect of something I did that caused it to "recompile" the menus. I'm no longer sure what it was I did, as I did a bit of messing around (going into setting applets, and possibly running a command line command to do the recompile based one something I read when trying to google the issue. The problem is I either didn't realize it had worked or it didn't work until days later, so I no longer remember what all I tried.

But my best guess is that there is some sort of menu recompile command that needs to be run (and possibly gets run if you simply open and save the right setting widget).

These context menu items don't seem to be totally working though...I will have to look into it more.

Comment

• ericjs
        Visitor
        • Mar 2013

To add to my "partially working" comment. "Edit with beyond compare" works. "Select left file" appears to work in so far as new context menu items show up after I use it, such as Compare to "[the full path to that file]". however selecting that fails to open BC.

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Thanks for the additional issue. This is still an open issue we need to resolve, and you might still see odd behavior even if you can get it partially working.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...