• Show
Clear All
  • Dave_L
    Veteran
    • Dec 2007

File manager content menu extension / Ubuntu 12.04

BC 4.0.0.18291
    Ubuntu 12.04.4 (64-bit)

In case it's of interest, I just got the file manager context menu extensions to work as follows:

For thunar:
    Code:
    sudo cp -a /usr/lib/beyondcompare/ext/bcompare-ext-thunarx.amd64.so /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/thunarx-2/
    For nautilus:
    Code:
    sudo cp -a /usr/lib/beyondcompare/ext/bcompare-ext-nautilus.amd64.so /usr/lib/nautilus/extensions-3.0/
    I also changed the permissions of the copied files to 644, to match the permissions of the other files in the target directories.

Questions:

1) There was an existing file /usr/lib/nautilus/extensions-3.0/bcompare-ext-nautilus.so, with no corresponding one in /usr/lib/beyondcompare/ext/. Is that left over from an old BC installation? The last-modified date is recent, though.
    Code:
    ll -h /usr/lib/nautilus/extensions-3.0/bcompare-ext-nautilus.so
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 45K Jun  4 15:59 /usr/lib/nautilus/extensions-3.0/bcompare-ext-nautilus.so
    2) I assume that the file manager PCManFM is not supported?
    Last edited by Dave_L; 25-Jun-2014, 02:04 PM. Reason: Minor typo in title
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Thanks for this useful information. We need to revisit the shell extension to help get it up to snuff on these different environments. I'll add this reference material to our tracker entry on the subject. Our scripts may be placing a 'new' .so that isn't useful in that position, depending on if the OS has the 'old' location we expect and also matches on another convention location.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Dave_L
      Veteran
      • Dec 2007

Just noting that the above post is also applicable to Xubuntu 16.04.2 and BC 4.2.2. (At least the thunar part is applicable; I don't have nautilus installed, and haven't tested it with BC, on Xubuntu 16.04.2).

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

We have an updated KB article with troubleshooting tips, manual installation tips, etc here:
        http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...nuxcontextmenu

We've also had to limit the number of supported Linux distros in part due to shifting context menu policies and upkeep that kept breaking any fix we would implement:
        http://www.scootersoftware.com/download.php?zz=kb_linux

The context menu support is also now on GitHub, for any user to submit changes and help enhance Linux support:
        https://github.com/ScooterSoftware/BCompare-LinuxMenus
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Dave_L
          Veteran
          • Dec 2007

Aaron, thanks for the information.

Comment

Working...