X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dov
    Journeyman
    • Aug 2013

Plaintext AppleScript encoding issues

I have a repository with plaintext AppleScript files, saved from AppleScript editor (they have the .applescript extension). When I do a Mercurial diff to show changes before committing, and copy some changes back from a prior revision, the script becomes invalid (won't compile in the AppleScript editor anymore). If I open the modified file up in BBEdit and save as a UTF-8, then it compiles normally. It looks like BC is overriding the encoding AppleScript Editor uses.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

When opening in BC4 we should display the detected file encoding in the upper status bar of each pane of the Text Compare. What does it show in this case? When performing a Save, this would be the encoding used. You can also manually override the encoding in the Save As dialog. Does overriding here with UTF-8 work?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Dov
      Journeyman
      • Aug 2013

Thanks for the quick response. I'm not able to reproduce it now, so I'll keep an eye on the text encoding displays you pointed out so I can tell exactly where it went wrong the next time. One thing I noticed is that BBEdit reports the encoding as UTF-16 Little Endian, and BC reports only UTF-16. I do remember seeing, when I was having issues, that BC was showing Little Endian for the file. I'll write back when I can get more info.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Thanks. If you'd like to include/email sample files, please email us at [email protected] and include a link to this forum thread.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...