• Show
Clear All
  • epatton
    Journeyman
    • May 2014

Bug: BC4 must be closed for 3 way merge to work

Hi

This is a bug!

I'm using BC4 pro clearcase and noticed that the merge does not complete unless the tool is closed.

Here's the steps

1) Do a diff on some other files. Leave BC4 open
    2) In clearcase, merge a file to another version
    3) the select "merge elements graphically"
    4) clearcase calls BC merge and BC opens up showing the 3 way merge
    5) now ONLY close the tab for the merge, leaving the previous diff tab active.
    6) Select "yes" when BC asks you if you want to save the result.
    7) Now check your file. Its checked out, but the merge is not completed.

The merge works fine if BC is not open prior to do the merge.

It seems that BC isn't releasing a flag to clearcase to say its done the merge.

Cheers2u
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Thanks for the two Clearcase reports. If you could use Process Explorer to capture the command line passed to BCompare (initially and any in between), that might help us track this down.

If you'd like to email us this info privately, contact us at [email protected] with a link back to this forum post for our reference.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• epatton
      Journeyman
      • May 2014

Hi

I did a normal diff on a file called HostManager.c. Then I used the clearcase merge tool to start the 3 way merge on a file spDspInterface.h.

The Process Explorer-System internals shows the calls as
      svchost.exe -> ccshelserver.exe -> clearmrgman.exe -> cleartool.exe -> BCompare

But when I look at the BC properties in PE (I double clicked on BCompare), The Image tab only shows the first diff
      Path
      D:\Program Files (x86)\Beyond Compare 4\BCompare.exe
      Command Line
      xcompare -fname D:\vws\ejp_m2_p4_0_integ_1\spDsp\EVM\M2_EVM6472\Fr amework.cluster\HostMgr.module\src\HostMgr_interfa ce.c@@\main\m2_main.0\m2_p4_0_integ.0\ejp_m2_p4_0_ integ_1.0\1 -fname D:\vws\ejp_m2_p4_0_integ_1\spDsp\EVM\M2_EVM6472\Fr amework.cluster\HostMgr.module\src\HostMgr_interfa ce.c \\starbuck\swtools\rational\clearcase\vbs\spDsp.vb s\c\cdft\7\42\bd6ee50eab9d45caa0c94c407c37675e.msd os D:\vws\ejp_m2_p4_0_integ_1\spDsp\EVM\M2_EVM6472\Fr amework.cluster\HostMgr.module\src\HostMgr_interfa ce.c
      Current Dir
      D:\vws\ejp_m2_p4_0_integ_1\
      Autostart Location
      n/a

I'm not sure why PE doesn't show the command for the 3 way merge file and only shows the first diff.

Cheers
      Eddie

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

How did you configure Clearcase? You should be using BComp.exe (either in the map file, or copying into and renaming). We have Clearcase and Clearcase Remote instructions here:
        http://www.scootersoftware.com/support.php?zz=kb_vcs#cc
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• epatton
          Journeyman
          • May 2014

Opps. I used BCompare.exe and not BComp.exe. I'll update and try again.

Comment

• epatton
            Journeyman
            • May 2014

BComp works. My bad.

Comment

Working...