X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tucsonkruk
    New User
    • May 2014

Sync to SMB casuses application to lockup

I am trying to sync files from my hard drive to an SMB share. I have confirmed I have permissions to the share and can "See" the folders in BC. As it starts to do the initial compare the application stops responding.
    I have not issues with FTP or comparing files on the same hard drive, only SMB.
    Any suggestions?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Thanks for the report. How many files are you comparing and then copying? If you work with a smaller subset, does this help get around the hang?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• tucsonkruk
      New User
      • May 2014

The original sync was for thousands of files but I created a different session for 7 folders and about 30 files. Same problem either way.
      Also, I am able to pull the data I want to move to the SMB share from an FTP site to my laptop with no issue so it seems strange that the local resource will have an issue.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for the follow-up. What type of server is the SMB hosted on? Which version of OSX are you running? And are you using the latest 17905 build of the BC4 beta?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• kiwiet
          Visitor
          • Sep 2014

Lockup when accessing SMB drive

Originally posted by Aaron
          Hello,

Thanks for the follow-up. What type of server is the SMB hosted on? Which version of OSX are you running? And are you using the latest 17905 build of the BC4 beta?
          I notice that there wasn't any reply to this but having just installed and endeavoured to use Beyond Compare, I seem to be getting a similar problem. I will try and give you as much of the detail as I can.

My server is a Buffalo Link Station, Firmware 1.63, and configured as RAID 5. I am sure the OS is based on Linux but I can't find a reference.

My MacBook Pro is running OSX 10.9.5.

BC4 build 18847.

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

We sometimes see issues with NAS devices, but usually not the program freezing. While based on Linux, they sometimes don't fully follow conventions. Are there any firmware updates available for the Buffalo Link Station?

Which action are you taking that is causing the freeze? On Load (compare) in the Folder Compare session? Or during a sync or copy of a specific folder?
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• kiwiet
              Visitor
              • Sep 2014

I can't recall precisely when it locked up but it had completed a compare of folders and I had synced the changes. Beyond Compare 4 simply remained in a busy state and wouldn't allow me to do anything else.

I will check tonight whether there are any firmware upgrades but I had a feeling it reported as being on the latest update.

Just checked. The latest firmware is installed.
              Last edited by kiwiet; 01-Oct-2014, 03:42 PM.

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Are you able to get the freeze to reproduce? If you let it sit in the busy state for an extended period (perhaps even overnight if possible), does it eventually recover and show the sync completed?
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• kiwiet
                  Visitor
                  • Sep 2014

Have tried a number of times and can not get the problem to reoccur. Since the original problems occurred after the install. Now that the system has been run a number of times, I don't seem to be able to recreate the problem.

Comment

• Aaron
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

Thanks for attempting to help test. If you are able to get the problem to reoccur, let us know and we can try to troubleshoot further.
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• BillT
                      Expert
                      • Mar 2013

I have this problem as well. It appears to be related to well-known problems w/OSX implementation of SMB. I've tried all the suggested workarounds (e.g., mounting shares using cifs: instead of smb: to force use of SMB1 vs SMB2), and none of them help.

More info at:
                      http://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/com...g_performance/
                      http://www.zdnet.com/mavericks-smb2-...es-7000022519/

Comment

• Aaron
                        Team Scooter
                        • Oct 2007

Thanks for the links. Are you able to see the hang reproduce reliably? Do you hit a hang if you attempt to browse or copy using Windows Explorer?
                        Last edited by Aaron; 27-Oct-2014, 05:00 PM.
                        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...