X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • john.stembridge
    New User
    • Apr 2014

BC3, Data Compare and whitespace

I have just started with BC and am v.impressed but have hit an issue I don't understand:

I am comparing two csv files (attached) using Data Compare. One entry on line six in column two of the second file has a trailing space which I would like identified as a difference.

I have clicked on Rules, selected the second column, unticked Use default, selected type Text, left Unimportant unselected and left unticked Text important except for Whitespace.

The difference is not shown - how can I get it to show?

On a related note, clicking on the "Visible Whitespace" button does not seem to change the display of that cell.

One further question, is it possible to differentiate between leading, embedded and trailing whitespace in Data Compare?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello John,

The option you are looking for is part of the specific format (Tools menu -> File Formats, select the specific format) and in the Type tab disable "Treat surrounding whitespace as part of delimiter". This would handle 'leading and trailing' whitespace, while the embedded is part of the session setting options you found.

Does this help clear up the behavior you are seeing?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• john.stembridge
      New User
      • Apr 2014

Thanks Aaron, that does the trick!

Comment

Working...