X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rick6612
    Journeyman
    • Apr 2014

Return code 2147942507/0x8007006B

We are trying to run BC3 from a script which is run by Windows Task Scheduler. We had been doing this successfully with BC2 under XP. However, we recently upgraded to Windows 8.1 and BC3. We're trying to do everything exactly the same as we did before, but now, when the scheduled task runs, it completes with return code 6B and the following message appears in the logs:

Task Scheduler successfully completed task "\01DMPNasH" , instance "{d2df9d3b-d537-4090-8b17-813c99d0fb04}" , action "C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\cmd.exe" with return code 2147942507.

Is there any way to find out what the return code means, or why this is not working?

Thanks,

Rick
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello Rick,

That isn't one of our return codes. Our return codes are documented in the Help file -> Command Line Reference chapter (and only go up to 3 digits).

I would suggest breaking down your task into two parts: the script (from an interactive command line) and the Scheduled Task (running something as simple as possible) to see which part is having trouble. Running the interactive command line might also provide additional prompts or feedback that would let you know if something is having trouble.

Would it be possible to get more information on how you configured your scheduled task, with precise script and command line information? You can post here or email us at [email protected] (with a link back to this forum thread for our reference).
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• rick6612
      Journeyman
      • Apr 2014

Hi Aaron,

We tried changing the script to run a simple command from the scheduled task and that worked fine. So we are sure that the scheduled task is able to run properly when the user is not logged in. However, the problem remains that if we try to have the scheduled task run Beyond Compare from a batch file while the user is not logged in, then it fails with the return code I mentioned previously.

The same script/scheduled task set up works fine in XP, and it will work in Windows 8.1 if we run the scheduled task while logged in. It only fails if we try to let the scheduled task run while the user is not logged in.

I came across some articles talking about differences in security (session 0) in Vista and newer vs. security in XP and how this might cause problems running programs from scheduled tasks while the user is not logged in. Could this be the problem? Can you get Beyond Compare to run on Windows 8 from a scheduled task that runs while you're not logged in?

Thanks,

Rick

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

I'll set up a test system to verify the behavior. In the meantime, I also found this post in my research:
        http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...ational-code-2

Do you have the ""Start In (Optional) box of the Edit Action dialog box" defined?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• rick6612
          Journeyman
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Aaron
          I'll set up a test system to verify the behavior. In the meantime, I also found this post in my research:
          http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...ational-code-2

Do you have the ""Start In (Optional) box of the Edit Action dialog box" defined?
          Yes, we have the Start In box filled in with the path to folder where the .bat file is that we are running from the scheduled task. The scheduled task runs a .bat file, which in turn actually runs the Beyond Compare .exe file. Does this sound like the correct set up? Like I mentioned before, it runs perfectly fine if we run the scheduled task while the user is logged in. So I have to believe everything is really set up properly with the scheduled task. I have to believe the problem is just that Beyond Compare cannot execute properly if it is being run while no user is logged in.

Rick

Comment

• rick6612
            Journeyman
            • Apr 2014

Any updates?

Hi Aaron,

I was just wondering if you've had a chance to test this yourself and see if you could get it to work?

Rick

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Hello,

Sorry, I have not been able to get this scenario set up quite yet, but it's on my To Do list. I'll try to get it scheduled in soon.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

I've created a test Win 8.1 system and a simple Script task that runs whether the user is logged in or not. The task was able to run without issue. We would need more specifics of the exact command line and script you are attempting to run. You could email them to us privately at [email protected], and if so, please include a link back to this forum thread for our reference.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• rick6612
                  Journeyman
                  • Apr 2014

That's interesting to hear. We'll send over the information you requested later today.

Rick

Comment

• rick6612
                    Journeyman
                    • Apr 2014

The scheduled task runs a .bat file, which contains the following commands:

cd\Program Files\Beyond Compare 3
                    BCompare.exe @"C:\Program Files\Beyond Compare 3\Scripts\01LenovoH.txt"

The text file 01LenovoH.txt contains:

load "01-DMPAPPS to LENOVO-CR-WIN8\DMPSBS_BACKUP\H_DMPAPPS"
                    sync update:left->right

Can you think of any Group Policy settings that would prevent BC3 from running properly? We are running in an SBS 2011 environment, so we're wondering if any of the SBS Domain Policies, etc., could have any effect.

Rick

Comment

• Aaron
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

In the interface, use the Tools menu -> Export to export all of your settings. Then re-run our Setup.exe and create a Portable Install on your C:\Beyond Compare 3\ (or similar base folder, not in Program Files). Then run this portable install and import your settings. You may also need to register this install using the Help menu -> Enter Key dialog; re-enter the same key you use in the main install.

This portable install will share settings regardless of which Windows User account runs it.

Then try to setup your .bat to reference this install, and test from the Command Line running the .bat. Then setup as part of the automated script. Does this Help?
                      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• timkly
                        Visitor
                        • Jul 2014

Microsoft error codes are not the best to understand but the easiest way to track down what they mean is to take the last 4 characters and convert them from HEX to DEC.

So, for your example, 0x8007006B becomes 006B as HEX. 006B as HEX equals 107 as a decimal. You then use CMD to lookup a more friendly meaning.

C:\>net helpmsg 107

The program stopped because an alternate diskette was not inserted.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• rick6612
                          Journeyman
                          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Aaron
                          In the interface, use the Tools menu -> Export to export all of your settings. Then re-run our Setup.exe and create a Portable Install on your C:\Beyond Compare 3\ (or similar base folder, not in Program Files). Then run this portable install and import your settings. You may also need to register this install using the Help menu -> Enter Key dialog; re-enter the same key you use in the main install.

This portable install will share settings regardless of which Windows User account runs it.

Then try to setup your .bat to reference this install, and test from the Command Line running the .bat. Then setup as part of the automated script. Does this Help?
                          Hi Aaron,

That did the trick. Everything is working fine now. As far as we are concerned this problem is resolved.

Rick

Comment

• rick6612
                            Journeyman
                            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by timkly
                            Microsoft error codes are not the best to understand but the easiest way to track down what they mean is to take the last 4 characters and convert them from HEX to DEC.

So, for your example, 0x8007006B becomes 006B as HEX. 006B as HEX equals 107 as a decimal. You then use CMD to lookup a more friendly meaning.

C:\>net helpmsg 107

The program stopped because an alternate diskette was not inserted.

Hope this helps.
                            Thanks for the tip about the net helpmsg command, but I'm not sure how that would apply here. We weren't doing anything with diskettes at all.

Rick

Comment

• Aaron
                              Team Scooter
                              • Oct 2007

Good to hear. Despite the configuration, there might have been a User account issue, but the Portable Install doesn't require access to a specific user's AppData folder or to be run as a specific user, which makes it a bit simpler to use in automated scenarios.
                              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...