Wishlist: Allow both BC4 and BC3 to be installed at the same time.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrestomanci
    Enthusiast
    • Jan 2008

Wishlist: Allow both BC4 and BC3 to be installed at the same time.

I am a long time user of BC3, and now I am evaluating BC4.

The problem is that BC4 is buggy in places, and some features that I am used to in BC3 don't work at all in BC4. (Remote ssh for example), others don't work as well. (3 way merge)

I would like to be able to use BC3 in those circumstances, but when I installed BC4, it did an upgrade and removed BC3.

Is there a way to have both versions installed, and choose which to run? I don't use context menus in filesystem windows, but I do make heavy use of the command line, and Version control integration.
  • dr_barnowl
    Expert
    • Apr 2008

+1

I like to contribute to software that I find so useful, bug reports being a useful contribution, but if the problem (sftp.. so broken) is getting in the way, I have to just reinstall the old package which means my contribution stops being casual.

Comment

• Dave_L
      Veteran
      • Dec 2007

In this post, Craig suggested a way of doing this, but I haven't tried it yet:
      http://www.scootersoftware.com/vbull...59&postcount=2

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

SFTP should be vastly improved from last night's release. Please update and give it a try.

Also, in which way is the 3 way Text Merge inferior or buggy? We really want to track these down and squash them if there are any issues that'd prevent you from wanting to use BC4.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrestomanci
          Enthusiast
          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Aaron
          Also, in which way is the 3 way Text Merge inferior or buggy? We really want to track these down and squash them if there are any issues that'd prevent you from wanting to use BC4.
          It is hard to quantify how the 3-way merge is worse. When I was using BC3 to resolve conflicts from git rebase or merge, then it was very good at automaticaly solving the conflict. With BC4, it feels that I have to manualy resolve the conflict more often.

As I don't have both installed at once it is hard to find specific examples. Perhaps you need to add more test cases in this area.

Presumably you are dogfooding with BC4? have your own developers said anything?

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello,

We've had a couple minor tweaks to help make things better, but sometimes those tweaks can make things worse in other cases. Do you have a set of sample files you could post or email us at [email protected] ?

If you email, please include a link back to this forum thread so we can link the issue.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...