Default File Name Folder Compare Ignore Case

I've been using BC 3 for a while now, updated to the latest version. One issue I run into is for certain files, we have to compare the same files with their file names follow different style requirements, one version is all lower case, another is initial capitalized like:

All lower case:
    filename1.cpp

Initial Cap:
    FileName1.cpp

Is there doesn't seem to be a way to align these two in BC 3, either through Ignore Filename Case checkbox or other alignment tools. Can you add a feature in BC 4 to do this? It should really be something simple to do...

Thanks,
    Louis

Hello Louis,

Beyond Compare 3 detects the current file system for if the Case is important for the alignment. If the case is important on both sides, then we don't align a pair of files that has a filename case difference, since both combinations of the file could exist. On most Linux filesystems, this would be the case; would both sides of your compare be Linux locations? Or is one an FTP (which, is configurable in the Tools menu -> FTP Profile, specific profile, General tab)?

The "Ignore filename case" option in the comparison tab controls if a difference in case should be considered important. This occurs if at least one side of the compare is case insensitive, and files have aligned that have a difference in case. If this option is checked, then that difference in case is marked as a difference. The option does not control the alignment itself.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Hi Aaron,

I understand what you said about there could be two files with the same name but in differ in the letter case and it could be ambiguous how they should be aligned with another side.

In my scenario, both sides of the comparison are on the local file system on Linux. Essentially, in our projects we enforce a naming convention for files (initial caps). But some source code we use from other open source projects do not have the same convention. It's very cumbersome to try to efficiently compare the changes when there's an update to the external project.

A simple way to resolve the ambiguity mentioned earlier, the alignment algorithm could always align with the first file if there are two files with the same name (ignore the case). I'd say this would be a less common scenario, but the scenario I'm in is probably more common.

As an alternative, if there's a way to allow users to control the alignment via some form of scripting (like the Alignment Overrides options in Session Settings), it would be great too, but I understand this might be a bit more complex to add.

Do you think a solution (maybe the simple way) can be added to BC 4? That would be a great motivation for me to upgrade .

Thanks,
    Louis

Thanks for the additional feedback. I'll add these notes to our Customer Wishlist entry on options to customize this behavior. Our wishlist is not currently scheduled development, but is a place our developers go for ideas for future features and enhancements.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Sounds good. Thanks!

Louis