X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • armsys
    Enthusiast
    • Jan 2004

Chinese File Names on Win98 Chn

The task goal is to copy files, if newer, from a Win98 Chinese computer (server) to a WinXP English computer (workstation) through local area network. For nearly all files with Chinese names, Beyond Compare 2 fails to copy with an error messaage complaining it can no longer locate the files.
    Do you have any idea to solve the problem? Please help. Thanks.

Armstrong Wong
    Hong Kong
  • danny
    • Dec 2003

Re: Chinese File Names on Win98 Chn

Hi Armstrong,

I'll check with the development team and get back to you ASAP.

Danny
    ---
    If you can dream it, you can do it.

Comment

• armsys
      Enthusiast
      • Jan 2004

Hi Danny,

I must be honest with you. It isn't a problem with Beyond Compare 2 alone. It also occurs with Microsoft Windows Explorer. The file server OS is Windows 98 Traditional Chinese. I want to copy files from the file server to my Windows XP Prof English notebook. When starting synchronization, BC2 complains the source files no longer exist. In Windows Explorer, I can see all filenames in question fail to display in Chinese such as ├▒ª¼1.doc.
      Normally, on my WinXP notebook I can see Chinese filenames as well as other langguages properly.

Well, the central issue here, as far as BC2 is concerned, is that those files meeting the conditions fail to be copied from the source to the designation.

Armstrong
      Hong Kong

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Beyond Compare only supports ANSI file names, not Unicode names. Do you have the language for non-Unicode programs set to Chinese in Windows XP? This is the only way BC will be able to display Chinese characters in file names.

For instructions on changing your language settings in Windows XP, look in our knowledge base here.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• armsys
          Enthusiast
          • Jan 2004

Chris,

Thanks a lot.

Armstrong
          Hong Kong

Comment

Working...