Default Convert docx files

I am trying to convert docx files to text prior to loading into BC4 under Ubuntu 13.10. On load, I am using this conversion command (below). I am unable to get the resulting filename.txt to load since it is not part of the conversion statement. How do I load the resultant converted txt file rather than the docx?

/usr/bin/soffice --headless --convert-to txt:Text %s

Thank you,
    Rob

Hello,

You would need to wrap the conversion into another, larger script which then takes the converted text file and places it into the %t variable. Where does your script currently put the target/converted .txt file? Can you then write that into a %t target?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Smile

Aaron -

/usr/bin/soffice --headless --convert-to txt:Text %s

the txt in the command above tells the soffice to convert the named %s and change the extension to .txt. So the util manages the output file from the designation above.

In general, how do I assign a value to the %t. Do you have an example?

Rob

Hi Rob,

I installed OpenOffice to play around with this. The --convert-to accepts an output directory, but not a target file. We would need a target file somehow.

The surrounding script would look in your --convert-to --outdir /bcconvert/*.txt
    then assuming the directory is emptied otherwise:
    cat *.temp >> $2

where $2 points back to %t as the script. script.bash %s %t from BC3's external conversion. My own Bash scripting skills are not quite up to par to write the whole conversion myself. If there was a way to make soffice pass to a specific filename instead of directory, we could use that more directly.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Default new extension variable

Is it possible to add a new variable which allows one to specify the new extension (txt) of the same filename?

It seems I can echo out the resultant destination file, but I don't know how to assign it back to the %t which is not set until after my script would run. It is a chicken/egg issue. I can run my script but it needs to know the %t prior to execution.

If you supported the destination extension you can then look for the source name with the new extension.

Rob

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll add this to our wishlist and alternatively see if one of our developers can come up with a better wrapper script. If you are able to create one, please do let us know and we'll take a look at it.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Default Make the file move to %t

We can't pass a new value of %t back to bcompare, so we have to make the output come to %t

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    #
    # docx-to-txt
    #
    # Converts MS Office Open XML (MOO-XML) DOCX to txt using soffice
    #
    # Moves output from a temporary batch folder to target
    #
    # Adrian Wilkins 2014 : licensed free for any use
    #
    # params 
    #
    # $1 = source file
    # $2 = target file

SOURCE=$1
    TARGET=$2

# Make some folders
    OUTPUTFOLDER=$(mktemp -d)
    TEMPHOME=$(mktemp -d)

# Set a new HOME variable for this process or soffice will refuse to start another instance
    # This means this fails silently if you have a document window open
    HOME=$TEMPHOME

# Convert
    soffice --headless --convert-to txt:Text --outdir "$OUTPUTFOLDER" "$SOURCE" 

# Rename converted file to supplied target location
    OUTFILE=$(ls $OUTPUTFOLDER)
    mv "$OUTPUTFOLDER/$OUTFILE" "$TARGET"

rm -rf $TEMPHOME $OUTPUTFOLDER

Thanks for the script! We'll take a look at this and see if we can incorporate it or something similar onto our Formats page.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Thanks this worked well.