Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • annarosy
    New User
    • Apr 2016

You should try Aaron's previous suggestion: download ShellExView and start disabling things until it works. At the very least, try running it under both accounts to see if something is being loaded in one and not the other.

Comment

• arf
      Enthusiast
      • Feb 2016

I want to confirm what Rebeccah said is exactly what I confirmed with my system. I don't recall BC3 having this problem b/c I always use Windows Classic theme. I also tested this on a fresh Windows 7 x64 install and confirmed the theme makes or breaks the context menu icons.

Aaron is there a patch for a fix for this to make the icons appear in the Classic theme just like the Basic/Aero themes?

This would be appreciated, it has been driving me mad not being able to see the icons given i have a lot of options in the context menu. It makes life much easier if the icons were there in the classic theme.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

From your other thread:
        "Re-testing with a Win7 vm with all updates applied and testing the latest BC 4.1.9 shows the icons in the Classic theme, selected using the Change Theme control panel setting. I've also tried rebooting, but the icons continued to display. Are you running the latest releases of Windows 7 w/ updates and BC4.1.9?"

Do you see the icons appear/disappear as you swap themes, without rebooting between? Was anything else at all installed on your fresh Win7 install? Is your Win7 install a physical machine or VM, and if VM which software is it running in?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• arf
          Enthusiast
          • Feb 2016

Hi Aaron,

I responded in the other thread and I'll re-post here.

To answer your question, i can switch on the fly and the icons appear and disappear, no there is no 3rd party apps and it is installed on a Physical machine, no VM which is why I suggest you try it on a native install and not a VM.

I would be more than happy to test any patches you come up with if you believe it will mitigate this problem. Clearly I'm not the only one with this issue and it is not going away.

Hi

Running your test in a VM is not the same as running it in a native environment where the two services requires for Aero/Basic run.

This is a known problem Aaron, I would hope Scooter Software steps up and mitigates this problem with a patch rather than differ the blame to some other 3rd party app causing the problem.

As i said i tested this on a fresh install of Windows 7 x64 prior to getting the latest updates and after. The result is the same the icons are missing when used in Aero/Basic themes which rely on two different services running for rendering.

Thanks

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello,

I've found a physical Win7 laptop and switched to Classic, and think I may have found the problem.

Our icons work here similarly as they do in the VM initially, until I increase the DPI. The physical machines resolution is locked at 1440x900. I found it working until I switched up to testing 150% DPI. What resolution and DPI combination are you running? Our minimum specs require a 768 resolution at 100% DPI; if the combination of a high DPI and near a low resolution exceed this, then it can trigger issues with our dialogs and context menu icons.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• arf
              Enthusiast
              • Feb 2016

Hi Aaron, I have been running this on multiple machines from desktop to laptop running different resolution from WQHD (2560×1440) to HAD x1080. When switching between Classic and Aero/Basic themes this does not change the resolution. It just changes the theme which turns on DWM if I recall. Have you tested just changing the theme to duplicate what I'm seeing?

Thanks

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Yes, I would switch themes but didn't replicate the issue until I also increased the DPI. Which DPI scaling factor are you running at?
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• arf
                  Enthusiast
                  • Feb 2016

100 on both, also just tried 150 and it made no difference. If I switch to Basic/ Aero it shows up. Switch to classic at either DPI and its gone

Comment

• Aaron
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

Ok, thanks for testing that. I've yet to reproduce in that scenario, but increasing the DPI can cause the icon to not draw. I'll open a tracker entry to investigate.
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• arf
                      Enthusiast
                      • Feb 2016

sure no problem, hoping for a resolution to this for everyone with your help.

Comment

• arf
                        Enthusiast
                        • Feb 2016

Hi Aaron,

Any update on this or patch possibly we can install to mitigate this issue?

Thanks

Comment

• Aaron
                          Team Scooter
                          • Oct 2007

Hello,

Sorry, we don't have a scheduled delivery for a fix for this issue. Our developers are currently very busy with the next 4.x release and other bug fixes that are already scheduled out or are a higher priority. It's currently an open tracker entry that is in queue to be investigated, but is behind many other currently open issues and is not likely something we'll be tackling short term.
                          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• arf
                            Enthusiast
                            • Feb 2016

Understand,

If and when there is a fix please update this thread so I and others can test the fix.

Cheers

Comment

• Aaron
                              Team Scooter
                              • Oct 2007

We don't have automated tools to update the thread, but I've added the URL and all notes to our tracker entry on the subject and will try to update if/when addressed. We would also mention the fix in the changelog, which is posted on our Download page, and notify of any updates on the News and Announcements forum or within the application's Check for Updates.
                              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• arf
                                Enthusiast
                                • Feb 2016

Great thanks, I'll check this thread and changelogs as they come out.

Comment

Working...