X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mightysprite
    Visitor
    • Jan 2014

Open With only opens first file

I have a new Open With configuration, maybe I'm setting it up wrong but it only opens the left file, in both file compare and file merge views. I'm accessing "Open With" via the context menu when I click in the appropriate pane.

My setup is this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Vim\vim74\gvim.exe" --servername BCOMP --remote-tab-silent +%l %f

<parent folder>

Accepts files is the only checkbox that is ticked.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Do you have both sides selected, but then right click the 'left' file? If both sides are selected, the entire selection is still used, at which point f would be the left file (or f1) while f2 is the right file. You would need to select only a single side for f to correspond to the single, selected file.

Does this explain the behavior you are running into? Or are you still having any trouble?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• mightysprite
      Visitor
      • Jan 2014

Do you have both sides selected, but then right click the 'left' file?
      I'm not sure. I haven't done any Control- or Shift-clicking.

Just as a test, I did a diff from my SCM. It opened up a view with %TEMP%\Client.makefile-rev8068.svn000.tmp.makefile on the left and other-path\Client.makefile on the right.

I left-click somewhere in the right file pane, then right-click, select "Open With"->Open in Vim, and I get the temp file that was on display in the left pane.

Thinking that maybe this behavior would be different in the folder compare view, I tried that. In that view, the Open With works as expected (at least in the 2-way diff view). It seems to be in the file diff/merge views that it doesn't work as expected.

I never actually got around to setting this up in BC3 but just did and it works there as I expect in both the folder diff and file diff views, with the same settings in the configuration dialog.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for the report. I thought this had been posted in the BC3 forum for a Folder Compare but see that you are specifically referencing BC4. I've reproduced the bug in BC4 and will open a tracker entry to get this fixed. Thanks!
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

As a workaround, if you go to the Open File button (browse button) to the right of the right file path, and click its dropdown arrow, Open With is also available here, and uses the correct target if called from this location.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...