X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mightysprite
    Visitor
    • Jan 2014

File merge alignment; content added around deletion

This is something that bugged me from time to time in BC3 as well. Thankfully it doesn't happen a lot but it does enough to be annoying.

When code branches diverge from a common root yet still share some code, BC aligns apparently without regard to commonalities between the left and right files. My screenshot shows an example; the right side code is the same as the left but the left side aligns to the code that was deleted on the right so I need to laboriously manually align line-by-line. (It would be cool if "align" did a realignment pass on the entire current difference, btw, rather than only doing line by line.)

In the merged file what I get is both of the new sections one after the other, which makes sense given the view that is presented in the top windows. The attachments show what I get when it comes up and then what I want when I manually align each and every line.
  • Zoë
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Thank you for the feedback. Improving the 3-way alignment and (significantly) improving the interaction for 3-way manual aligns are both known issues that we will address at some point. I was hoping they'd make it into 4.0, but the schedule wouldn't allow it.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...