Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Manual sync with "copy to right/left" issue

Hi there,

I use BeyondCompare 4 (Current Beta) and I am always syncing my backups with "Copy to right" or "Copy to left". But the timestamp of the copied file is not (as in former versions) kept - it is set to the current date-time! IS there an option which I haven't found or is this really a bug?

BeyondCompare becomes nearly unusable with this behavior for me :-(

Cheers,
    Frank

Hello,

We normally try to preserve the Last Modified timestamp if the destination device supports it. What type of device are you copying to or from?

If you Refresh, or double check in Finder, is the timestamp actually set to the current time, or is it not displaying correctly in BC4 after the copy?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Hi there,

I am copying from HFS+ to HFS+ and the timestamp ist set to the current date/time. When I use "sync" everything works as it should. But what I do is:

1. Compare folder
    2. Filter out same files
    3. Copy to other side

And than the timestamp is set to the date/time when copied, not the original date/time. So the next "refresh" shows the just created backup copies as "newer files".

Cheers, Frank

Hello,

I've tested these steps, but see the time preserved. Which version of OSX are you currently running? Are you running the latest build?

"Sync Update" should be using the same basic copy method as the "Copy" command. Are you using the Sync Update from the Folder Compare or Sync session; if from Compare is it on the selection or everything?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Hi,

I am using OS X Mavericks and the latest version of BeyondCompare. On my MacBook I had the same issues, but I used TrashMe to fully remove BeyondCompare and reinstalled - than it worked. I will do on my Mac Pro so, too.

Cheers, Frank

I am not familiar with TrashMe, but our settings files are located in Users/username/Library/Application Support/Beyond Compare/. If you were to Move/Delete these, and the app in Applications\, that should clear out BC4's settings.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Before you do, you could use the Tools menu -> Export to create an export of your settings. If you find a clear fixes it, then you re-import and it has the issue again, could we get an email of those settings to support@scootersoftware.com ?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

There is an annoying behaviour when synchronizing to a FTP server.

If the quick test finds a difference between local and remote file, say the local file date is more recent, it shows a copy to right arrow which is fine. Then I double click the line to see the differences, then BC4 says that there is no difference and the = symbol is displayed which is fine too.

The problem is that if at this point I want to copy the file from right to left, the popup menu doesn't show these options anymore (left to right or right to left). So I can't synchronize my file and I have to refresh everything in order to do it.

You should leave those sync options always enabled even if the file contents are identical.
    Macbook Pro Retina 15' - OSX Yosemite 10.10.1 French

Hello,

The Sync Update option is performing a normal copy, but only on files that should be synced (for Update: Newer and Orphan status). The regular Copy arrow is still available if there are only Unimportant differences (a squiggly = sign in the center column). Is the icon in the center a "0110="? This would indicate the files are actually binary matches (exactly the same). If they are exact matches, would you still need to copy the file? Or would you just need to update the timestamp (Touch command) in the Folder Compare?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Yes, its to sync their timestamp so they don't show in the next sync session.
    Macbook Pro Retina 15' - OSX Yosemite 10.10.1 French