• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sgagner
    Journeyman
    • Oct 2013

Installation problem

Hi,

Today I downloaded the most recent version of BC for Mac version 4.0.0.17451

When I unpack the ZIP-file it only contain a single file Beyond Compare.app

Shouldn't there be a DMG-file for installation or shall I move the .app file to the Programs folder or what???

Why not include a redame.txt to tell how to install.

Now it doesn't load at all. I am running OSX 10.9.1

/Stefan Gagner
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

With later versions of OSX, when you run the zip, it should automatically unzip the .app to your desktop. When you attempt to run it, you should get an OS controlled prompt asking if you'd like to move the app into our Applications Folder when you first run a new install. Otherwise, you can also manually drag and drop the app into your Applications folder. From our research, this is standard practice on OSX.

We had a DMG installer earlier in the beta, but this still required prompting the user with a dialog pop-up and prompting them to manually drag an icon from one side of the dialog to the other (manually copying the .app into Applications). This seemed less intuitive than letting the OS handle the .zip method, as it overrides the OS prompt and requires the user perform the drag and drop.

Update: Actually, the prompt isn't OSX controlled, but something we've implemented after reviewing how many other applications are handling this. Increasingly, it seems like this is the standard they are currently working towards. The only OSX level standard is to know to manually drag the .app into the Applications folder.
    Last edited by Aaron; 10-Jan-2014, 10:27 AM. Reason: Update
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• sgagner
      Journeyman
      • Oct 2013

I have done as you say several times with the previous version and the latest, but the BC refuse to load. I don't get any dialogue at all.
      What can I do to trouble shoot?
      I have restarted the system several times but with no improvement.
      I am running an iMac (late 2012) with QuadCore i5 3.1 GHz and 12 GB of memory so I have plenty of resources.

/Stefan Gagner

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

The Beyond Compare.app fails to run the application after moving it into the Applications folder?

Lets delete all of your current settings. These are found in Finder, in your Users\username\Library\Application Support\Beyond Compare\ folder. Here there will be BCSetting.xml files. Please delete or move all of them out of this directory, reboot, and then re-run the application.

Is it possible the main application is a corrupt download? If the setting reset does not work, please try clearing them once more, then grab a fresh download of the application.

If you are still having trouble, which version of OSX are you currently running?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• sgagner
          Journeyman
          • Oct 2013

Hi,

There is no folder called /Beyond Compare/ in /Application Support/ so it seems it is not created for some reason.

I am running OSX 10.9.1 "Mavericks"

/Stefan Gagner

Comment

• Zoë
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Try running Terminal.app (in the Utilities folder, I believe), and in it run "/Applications/Beyond Compare.app/Contents/MacOS/BCompare". Hopefully it will write out some useful messages to the screen.
            Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• sgagner
              Journeyman
              • Oct 2013

When I try to run BCompare in the terminal:
              stefans-imac-4:~ sgagner$ open -a /Applications/Beyond Compare.app/Contents/MacOS/BCompare

I get this message:

The file /Users/sgagner/Compare.app/Contents/MacOS/BCompare does not exist.

Comment

• Zoë
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

You need to use quotes or escape the space in "beyond Compare" with a backslash. Also, don't use "open -a", just try running that command directly.
                Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• sgagner
                  Journeyman
                  • Oct 2013

Result:
                  stefans-imac-4:~ sgagner$ /Applications/Beyond\Compare.app/Contents/MacOS/BCompare
                  -bash: /Applications/BeyondCompare.app/Contents/MacOS/BCompare: No such file or directory

Comment

• Zoë
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

It looks like you left out the space between Beyond\ and Compare. Also, just to verify, BC is in your Applications folder, right?
                    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• sgagner
                      Journeyman
                      • Oct 2013

Yes it is.
                      When I put the back slash in the space of the word Beyond Compare, it disappears.

Comment

• sgagner
                        Journeyman
                        • Oct 2013

If I put:
                        /Applications/Beyond\ Compare.app/Contents/MacOS/BCompare

I get this:
                        -bash: /Applications/Beyond Compare.app/Contents/MacOS/BCompare: Permission denied

Comment

• Zoë
                          Team Scooter
                          • Oct 2007

Try "ls -l" and then that path.
                          Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• Zoë
                            Team Scooter
                            • Oct 2007

Did you extract the zip using the operating system provided unzipping support, or another application?
                            Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• sgagner
                              Journeyman
                              • Oct 2013

I first used used AlZip and then Stuffit Expander which I normally use

I tried:
                              ls -l /Applications/Beyond\ Compare.app/Contents/MacOS/BCompare

and I get:

-rw-r--r--@ 1 sgagner admin 17951264 10 Jan 11:45 /Applications/Beyond Compare.app/Contents/MacOS/BCompare

Comment

Working...