Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jezzer
    Expert
    • Sep 2013

17451: Possible issues with filename/path/search edit box and Text Compare pane

Although I am unable to reproduce these issues with the latest build, I had them with a previous build (17032, I think) and am posting here for reference as I couldn't see any fix mentioned in the changelog:

- If there are no characters in the filename/path edit box, and you type one or more characters, the control is not updated until the mouse cursor moves over the edit box. When there are already characters in the edit box, the control updates immediately when you type more characters. A similar thing happens when deleting characters - if there is a single character and you press backspace, the control is not updated until the mouse cursor moves over the edit box. If there will be at least one character left after you press backspace, the control is updated immediately.

The same happens for the Find edit box.

- Problem with selection in Text Compare pane. Double-click word to select it in right pane and it won't show as highlighted until you move mouse cursor over left pane and then back to right pane

- There are other issues with the filename/path editbox - If I have an active Text Compare and left click the edit box once, the entire path is selected. A second click changes the mouse cursor to an insertion cursor (ie. looks like an 'I'), but no insertion cursor appears in the edit box and the entire path stays selected - typing at this point appears to do nothing, but clicking on the text pane will result in the edit box updating and the characters were correctly inserted at the correct point.
    FlexiTimer - interval/fitness timer app for iOS. http://flexitimer.com
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

We didn't implement anything to directly fix this issue, but it is possible that while fixing other areas and cleaning up code that helped. If you see it crop up in this or a later version, certainly let us know.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• jezzer
      Expert
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by jezzer
      - If there are no characters in the filename/path edit box, and you type one or more characters, the control is not updated until the mouse cursor moves over the edit box. When there are already characters in the edit box, the control updates immediately when you type more characters. A similar thing happens when deleting characters - if there is a single character and you press backspace, the control is not updated until the mouse cursor moves over the edit box. If there will be at least one character left after you press backspace, the control is updated immediately.

- There are other issues with the filename/path editbox - If I have an active Text Compare and left click the edit box once, the entire path is selected. A second click changes the mouse cursor to an insertion cursor (ie. looks like an 'I'), but no insertion cursor appears in the edit box and the entire path stays selected - typing at this point appears to do nothing, but clicking on the text pane will result in the edit box updating and the characters were correctly inserted at the correct point.
      Just noticed the above two issues again (haven't been able to reproduce the Find text box issue).

It happened after BC was open with an active Text Compare session and OS X was shut down with the "Reopen windows when logging back in" option enabled.

After starting OS X again and logging in, all previous apps/windows re-opened automatically, but BC opened on the Home screen (ie. the active Text Compare session was no longer open.). I double-clicked on the previously open session to open it. This is when the problem occurred.

After restarting BC and opening the session, the problem is gone.

The problem is intermittent though, as sometimes I follow the same steps and have no problem.

Comment

• jezzer
        Expert
        • Sep 2013

Tried similar steps, except this time I initially opened a New blank Text Compare session, typed "b" three times into the filepath, then used Session toolbar button to open the previously opened session, and clicked on the file path edit box (just as the tooltip was displayed), and all problems occurred, except for with the Find edit box.

So another possible cause is the edit box tooltip - if, after opening the previously saved session, I move the mouse cursor over the file path edit box, and click (maybe multiple times or double/triple-clicks) just at the moment the tooltip is displayed, the problem sometimes occurs.

CPU usage of BC doesn't spike when the problems is exhibited, so BC is not doing some processing in the background - it's just that the display isn't always being updated correctly.

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Which version of OSX are you currently running? And would it be possible to get a step by step video (using a program like Jing) so I can be sure I'm clicking on the exact, correct controls? With only 3 "bbb"s, I'm not sure which tooltip you are hovering over and causing to appear.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• jezzer
            Expert
            • Sep 2013

Lion 10.7.5. I'll try to get a video together which will show the steps, but it might not show the problem(s) due to the intermittent nature.

Re. 3 b's, it's in the file path edit control just above the left text pane (ie. the bit that shows the file contents, although this is obviously empty due to it being a new compare).

Comment

• jezzer
              Expert
              • Sep 2013

I haven't got around to making the video yet (I will do), but a quick update is that I've also noticed this sluggish edit box behaviour in Xcode in the Find bar on the left.

I'm starting to think this odd behaviour might be some bug in Lion rather BC. I plan on updating to 10.9 Mavericks in the near future, so I'll let you know if this odd behaviour continues.

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Thanks for the update. We're running a variety of OSX versions in the office; I'm running Mavericks myself.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...